Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default My Summer Goal

Well im off to college in the fall and over the summer i want to set up a web server from the house i am leaving to store my media, as well as my files that i want backed up

So, i was planning to control the server from college through a VNC of some sort. The thing is i want a site to display all of my media from. I wanna be able to access my files from any computer, iphone, whatever i choose.

What would be the best route to acheive this? This is one of the bigger projects ive doing, so if you can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

shagadelicman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Send a message via MSN to jonny912
Default Re: My Summer Goal

I have something like this going on myself, I'm running Ubuntu Server Edition on an old PC, with sshd installed, so I can control everything over SSH. I also have Samba installed, so I can map the drive over my local network onto my windows PC. Ubuntu Server Edition already comes with Apache/PHP/MySQL, so you could either use Apache's default directory listing, write a PHP script yourself, or use a premade PHP file manager.
Good luck!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

I would recommend setting up an ftp server if all you want is a way to see all your media files, and be able to download them. Or you can do what jonny912 said and set up a LAMP server, then just set up a webpage that would allow you do access all your files.

Cheers!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri View Post
I would recommend setting up an ftp server if all you want is a way to see all your media files, and be able to download them. Or you can do what jonny912 said and set up a LAMP server, then just set up a webpage that would allow you do access all your files.

Cheers!
FTP server would be the most logical and efficient solution.

I'de also recommend running logmein, on your FTP server so that you can access it. Or use some other secure shell program.
colorblindjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

I would recommend that you take a look at this. It is a great tutorial if you are going to be using a windows machine.

Cheers!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorri View Post
I would recommend that you take a look at this. It is a great tutorial if you are going to be using a windows machine.

Cheers!
They use some non-free software in that guide though.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
In Runtime

thats so funny, ive already bookmarked that page. LifeHacker is my favorite site! hahah...price wont matter all that much... thanks for the suggestions, they are very much appreciated
Old 05-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagadelicman1 View Post
thats so funny, ive already bookmarked that page. LifeHacker is my favorite site! hahah...price wont matter all that much... thanks for the suggestions, they are very much appreciated
Well than it's great software for the price, i was planning on remote file access on a server over the internet, but I decided to scrap that. Wanted to have everyone else get the files with a SFTP or SCP client, but yeah. If I need to access stuff personally, I just use RDP.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #9
In Runtime

whats RDP?? and can mount my ftp server as a drive on my mac? like a network drive? can i stream things from it? like movies and stuff without downloading it from the server? I read this and it looks like i want it to do that, but it that local or remote. i want both

http://lifehacker.com/software/lifeh...use-303421.php

nvm, remote dekstop protocol, is that like a coded vnc? or sumthing, im not sure
Old 05-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

rdp = "remote desktop protocol"
.. i think? correct me if im wrong...

as for streaming im sure theres a way it could be set up, but normally it downloads the file locally first. putting the files onto a website would stream them. thats the easy option. as for help with macs im no good there