My router is not allowing me to connect to the internet

Mosignalize

Beta member
HI, I purchased a router its NETGEAR, I connected the wires and everyfin, and I was able to access the internet bothy on my PC and on my laptop for the first week, But since yesterday its started acting funny, When I connect it to the router, all the lights appear on the router, and my wireless card, also picks up a connection on my laptop, however when the router is connected I cannot access the internet on the laptop and on the PC, When I connect my broadband directly to the computer It works fine, but as soon as its connected via the router the Internet is disabled on both computers, I am stressing as I have coursework to do, for which I am replying heavily on the intenret, Please can anyone help...anyone :"(

The problem has been highlighted below:

1) When I connect the broadband ethernet cable to the router It doesnt allow me to connect on the internet on both MY PC or the laptop.

2)when I connect the broadband direct to the computer as was b4 purchasing the router I can access the internet fine.

3) The problem occurs when I connect the broadband with the router.

Please can anyone help.?

My router is NETGEAR IF THAT HELPS?

The lights on the router work fine, what I dnt understand is the laptop picks it up, but doesnt connect thats all...and when it is connected both my computers dont connect to the internet.

Make sure you plug your modem's ethernet cable into the WAN port on the router, and not the others. I'm not sure in a Netgear router, but I know with a Linksys router, you can release and refresh you're IP address, you might try that.

Also, make sure your other computers are set up correctly, that they don't have conflicting IP's and what not.

im sure this is answered somewhere else on this forum somewhere.. i know im knew here.. but that is like the most common problem ever.. im sure it has been brought up before.. i used to do tech support a couple years back.. and that was like 80% of the calls

Mosignalize said:
The lights on the router work fine, what I dnt understand is the laptop picks it up, but doesnt connect thats all...and when it is connected both my computers dont connect to the internet.

I also have a Netgear router in my network.....It works perfectly withour any issues......Regardless, prior to completing the installation of it, i had to run the setup wizard within the router.....To get there load up your browser and type in your router's ip adress....i believe its 192.168.0.1...if not read your installation guide (Mine is in orange)...

After it detects what kind of network connection your using (PPPoE or Ethernet or etc) Set up any other features you want (like WEP for your wireless connection) Then, exit out of it..... After all that it should work without any problems...

I have installed pretty much Linksys, Netgear and D-link routers for people over past years. They are pretty much plug and play. One thing I have seen with mine at home is with cable (Road Runner) when I see this strange type of behavior I unplug my router and let it re-learn from the cable modem. I noticed that RR sometimes changes its DNS and somtimes your address and this does not always propogate correctly to the router. It assumes you are on a PC and power off everyday, so it looks for you to pickup the new settings when you turn on and get your DHCP and DNS. You dont power your router off, so it can be an issue. This assumes your are on Cable, DSL normally will give you a static IP address, but they too change DNS sometimes, so I would call and verify it. Im not sure what you use, but when I have had this type of issue its the providor making changes.

lol i got a router the other week so i can link up my x-box ps2 and pc online at once... but i picked up a switcher by accident hehe so i taken it back and got a refund instead:) and bought a 128 ram for 20 pounds:D

Satori said:
Make sure you plug your modem's ethernet cable into the WAN port on the router, and not the others. I'm not sure in a Netgear router, but I know with a Linksys router, you can release and refresh you're IP address, you might try that.

Also, make sure your other computers are set up correctly, that they don't have conflicting IP's and what not.

How would I check that,what do I look for,I have never hooked up a router before.On my computer I can not go on the internet if I use my router,I have to disconnect the router.

okay try this
1.) unplug (the power cord) the highspeed modem, wait 30 sec, then plug it back in.
2.)wait until the online light on the modem comes back on and stays on
3.)then unplug the power cord on the router then and wait 30 sec. then wait for the correct lights to stay on and then connect with your pc

this all worked for me

Back
Top Bottom