monitor traffic in router

thosecars82

Solid State Member
Hello
I am looking for some way to monitor the traffic of my LAN's router. The router gets colapsed very often and apparently the reason according to the ISP is that one of the local IPs is generating a huge amount of traffic that is colapsing the router. However, I have not been able to monitor that traffic and the ISP told me I cannot monitor it with the same tool they used to do it. That is why, I wonder whether any of you can help me with any suggestion. The LAN's IP that is causing the high data traffic from the LAN towards the internet is a network hard drive Seagate Goflex like the one showing up in this link

Almacenamiento en red doméstica | Almacenamiento de copia de seguridad | GoFlex Home | Seagate
However, I still do not see why and what is causing this high volume of data going from the network hard drive to the internet, since I only use that network hard drive to share data among different computers all in the same LAN.

Thanks in advance

Perhaps your network hard drive device is infected with a virus or some other form of malware. Run a virus scan on the drive and maybe run malwarebytes on it too.

You might consider using WireShark, and do a packet capture on the IP address of your SAN for an hour or two, which will determine what IP addresses it's going to, which ports it's using, and how often.

Another thing you could consider is loading your router with an Open-Sourced firmware like DD-WRT, and setting up traffic monitoring. I'm 75% sure DD-WRT can perform traffic monitoring. This way, you could check which device is causing the traffic spikes.

http://www.wireshark.org/
http://dd-wrt.com/site/index - NOTE: DD-WRT is available for many different makes and models of routers and AP's

Perhaps your network hard drive device is infected with a virus or some other form of malware. Run a virus scan on the drive and maybe run malwarebytes on it too.
im sure this is the case, a blaster virus I think. If you open up taskmanager and look at the network usage you should be able to find the pc causing the problem

Back
Top Bottom