Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Modem/Router Help

Hi guys, I recently switched from the Actiontec gt701-wg to the Medialink WAPR150N. To setup the Medialink I had to hook it up to my older Actiontec M1000 which came when we first got internet.

I chose the Medialink because everyone on Amazon and other places were raving about how much faster and how it extended their range from their previous modem for such a great price.

The problem is I went from a 1.5Mbps to a mere 0.8Mbps. Also the range has gone done severely. My room which is about 30 feet away from the router doesnt always get 3 bars. Also the room in our house with an Xbox which is directly below the router seems to only get 1 bar.

I am wondering if the reason for the huge decrease in speed and range is because I have to hook up my Medialink to my M1000 as opposed to previously just being able to use my Actiontec gt701-wg as the primary modem where I could hook the Phone into.

I currently have Qwest/Century Link 1.5 Mbps DSL. So I'm not expecting it to be super fast but I want it to be able to be 1.5Mbps as expected.

So my question is. Should I send back my new Medialink to get a new wireless modem(something I hook my phone into) rather than router? If so, what should I get that is under $100? If there is a different problem please tell me!

Ninja Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote