Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Modem Question

WE have at&t as our internet provider and i am using a 2wire wireless modem right now. From what i understand i can only use at&t modems for them to work here with the internet we have. It runs slow and it bothers me so i wondering if we can use any other modems for our wireless internet.

'"Crapbox 2.0.....Until you put Mac OS X on it, then its called a Mac Pro." -cavemangrinder

"You were sick, but now you're well again, and there's work to do." - Kurt Vonnegut
hemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Beta Member

Send a message via Yahoo to thangkeris
Default Re: Modem Question

I think Robotics is a best modem. you can try it otherwise use DSL line it is so fast and reliable.

thangkeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Well, you will have to check with AT&T. Most likely they have settings configured either in the modem or on their servers that will require you to let them know you have a new modem. However, I doubt that a new modem will fix your "slowness" as that is based on the speed you have with AT&T. Also, if you are connecting wirelessly it could be your wireless conection causing your slowness issues. Could you post more specific details about what is running slow and what you are comparing it to (for example, the speed it ran at when you first got it). Also post your interent speeds if you know them.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

I have it hard wired into my computer. I know it's not my computer because I am running a quad core, 4gb ram, 1.16tb 9500gt gpu. I may go to fry's and ask them and see what they say.

'"Crapbox 2.0.....Until you put Mac OS X on it, then its called a Mac Pro." -cavemangrinder

"You were sick, but now you're well again, and there's work to do." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Those things you've listed have nothing to do with the speed of the internet. Those are only going to effect the speed of the computer itself.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

I know, thats how i singled out the modem. It is about 2 years old and used to be faster than it is now.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

What is the speed of your internet. Try speedtest.net. What are your download and upload speeds? Are they close to the speeds your supposed to be getting from the ISP?

If not it could be virus/spyware on the computer affecting the speed.

I'm not sure how you can look at the equipment you've listed and single out the modem. That is not what I meant. There could be other factors that are effecting the speed. I was trying to say that we don't need to know the processor or the RAM or anything like that. We need to look at things like viruses/spyware, network cards, P2P programs (uTorrent, Limewire), etc.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

I don't use any torrents, and i scan my computer weekly with several spyware and anti-virus software. It is hard wired through my asus p5q se mobo.

Normally it is a little higher, but ya.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

For a standard DSL line that's about as good as you can get. Most people who use DSL don't get that fast. Keep in mind with DSL, you have account for other users who are using the line.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

I only have one other computer on it and that is very rarely turned on.