Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Unhappy Lowering ping time?

I have a question about speeding up my internet connection/lowering ping time.

I live 8 miles from town, just out of reach from cable internet, so I have to have satellite internet. It's really expensive, so I just have the basic package which gives me 1 mbps downloads. But I also want to do a tiny bit of online gaming.

Well, I have a grandmother, who lives in town, and has stupidly fast internet for what she needs which is over 7 mbps. I was wondering, if I could set up a proxy, or a vpn, through her internet, to lower my ping time for my games?

Right now it's around 750, which is just absolutely terrible. I usually get kicked because it irritates people. Though, when I'm at her house, my ping is around 50. I figured it'd be faster to access a house 8 miles away, than 1000, right? I just want to get it down to something actually tolerable. 400? 500?

It's a bit of a stretch, I know. I would just set up a server at my house and invite a few friends or something, but they don't offer a server for the game I want to play.

zombygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Site Team
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Lowering ping time?

If anything that would simply add lag time. Right now for you to play, ignoring the routers along the way, game traffic goes from the game server to your ISP and then to you or the reverse. If you were to do any kind of proxy or VPN through her internet it would go Game -> her ISP -> her Modem -> her router -> her modem -> her ISP -> your ISP - > you. As you can see all you are doing is adding a middle man and making it take longer for info to reach your computer.

"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Yeah, I understand that. But, I think I might try to set one up anyway. Because I'm stubborn, have no life, plus that way I could just download things there then drive over every now an then to gather my files via usb or something.
zombygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Set it up as an experiment if you want, but it'll still be slower
Athlon II x4 645 || 1TB 7200rpm HDD || EVGA GTX 650Ti OC || 8GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 7 Home x64

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote