Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Lost Wireless Connection Icon

Hi guys, I'm new here. I have a home network set up at my house that I set up through my laptop but unfortunately it broke. So I have my wife's laptop it's a older Gateway running Windows XP. I upgraded to SP3 and ever since then I can't get back on my wifi connection.

When I go into my network connections the wireless connection icon is there. The lan connection is there but that's all I see. I go into the device manager thingy and I don't see the other option tab with yellow question marks on it. I went into the bios and made sure all the settings were set to default. I don't know how to get it back. I've looked all over the web for an answer because her laptop is our only computer at the moment. THanks.

jonmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Lost Wireless Connection Icon

Is there a switch to turn the wireless on/off? It could be a hardware switch on the outside of the laptop or a software switch by pressing FN and one of the F-keys.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Beta Member

My wife's laptop is a gateway mx 6445. I recently upgraded to service pack 3 still running windows xp. I went into my network connections and theree is no wireless connection option. It says I'm connected to some LAN thing but here is no wireless option.

I made sure the wireless radio is on by pressing fn f2 to turn the radio on. I go into device manager and under the network controller there are two options with yellow question marks so I'm assuming that I'm missing the wireless drivers?? Thanks.
jonmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Try this: Gateway Support - Downloads & Support Documents - Notebook / MX Series / MX6440
Or sometimes even windows update might have them (if you can hardwire the laptop).
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote