Live Streaming Video

n30rn3

Beta member
Hi guys!
Ok... This is a bit strange so stay with me.
I live in Cyprus and I have cable tv so that I can view channels from my tv.
Now I am at another country but I cannot watch those channels now.
So what I need is somehow take the output video and audio signal of my tv and upload it through the internet so that I can see the channels that I have back home live from where I currently am. I know that I will be only seeing the only channel that is showing on my tv but that is ok.
Any ideas?
thank you for your time

The company that I work for does something similar to this for a local TV station.
It involves using a dedicated server running Adobe Flash Streaming Media Server. The TV station runs media encoders that connect to our servers, then anyone who wants can connect to the RTMP streams to view the live tv.

It's expensive, but quite high quality and very easy to use.

-Bucky24

Well that solution doesn't really help him with his problem.

To the best of my knowledge you'd basically have to have a media server where you record your TV shows to. Then you'd have to remote desktop to the media server from whereever you are and watch them. This isn't really "streaming" but I don't think you can do what you are asking.

To the best of my knowledge you'd basically have to have a media server where you record your TV shows to. Then you'd have to remote desktop to the media server from whereever you are and watch them. This isn't really "streaming" but I don't think you can do what you are asking.

To build off that, you wouldn't even need to remote desktop in. A simple (and free) Himanchi VPN could help you stream through shared folders.

I'd look into a sling box. It might be the closest thing to what you are looking for and can be had for under $200

Remote desktop doesn't display video. I've tried using it before for streaming movies I had on another machine and they don't even show up. The virtual display adapter used doesn't produce enough colors for it to work.

The OP wants to stream video over the internet from his TV. The solution I posted would do that, albeit at some expense.

To build off that, you wouldn't even need to remote desktop in. A simple (and free) Himanchi VPN could help you stream through shared folders.

I'd look into a sling box. It might be the closest thing to what you are looking for and can be had for under $200

I'd like to add that you need to have a dedicated IP at the source with high bandwidth service on both ends to get A/V that's worth watching.

I guess I should add that I wasn't implying a true 'remote desktop'. What I should of said is a way for him to connect back to his computer to access the files.

I guess reading your post the first time you were saying he'd have to find a service provider offering this service but now I'm guessing you telling him to set up the server at his house? Agreed that would work, at an expense.

Yeah that was what I meant, but just like the slingbox idea, it would probably require a good deal of bandwidth to get working from home.

Back
Top Bottom