Limiting internet usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justyle

Beta member
Hi!
I feel bad having my first post a help me post but I NEED help..
So my parents have recently started renting out the basement, all was fine until the tenant started using some sort of p2p program (im guessing here, not totally sure). Me and my two brothers all enjoy playing video games and find it hard to do so with pings of over 1000 ms. I've been using my routers access policy to temporarily turn her internet off while I want to game, but that gives her no access to the internet and my parents really rely on the rent money so pissing her off is a no-go. My dad is contemplating running her a dedicated line but she does not pay utilities so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to remotely, as in without talking to her or doing anything on her computer, limit her internet usage so she stops raping my conection... any help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks!!

Many routers provide functionality to limit when you can access the internet if not how much you can download. I'd recommend you refer to your router manual.

Limiting a user or a machine to a given amount would require enterprise level equipment and software. It's doubtful that you have that in your home. Limiting internet access by a schedule is probably the best you can do with consumer grade equipment.

There are Linux-based firewall operating systems freely available that would allow you to build a firewall appliance using an old computer (mine is a P4) which would allow you to set Quality of Service (QoS) limits.

personally my internet access would be more important than the tenant. Can find another tenant :p

anyway, i dont think you can give 'access quotas' outside of a Domain, or a corporate subnet with more advanced routers, best trying out what Sahabcse said.

In lieu of her having her own connection, is having a sitdown with her and your folks. Stay out of it. See if they can iron out a time table where you play during the day or evening and she does her downloading overnight.
Having said that and not wishing to incurr the rath of the mods, I'll flex the rules this much. Check her torrent program if in fact that's what's she doing. If she's running all connections wide open as in unlimited up and down, that will kill bandwidth. Set the up/down limits to something you both can get along with.

There are Linux-based firewall operating systems freely available that would allow you to build a firewall appliance using an old computer (mine is a P4) which would allow you to set Quality of Service (QoS) limits.

My router allows me to set QoS so i think ive got it all figured out !! It let me set her upload speed and download speed... ilu cisco... lol thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom