"Limited or No Connectivity"

eldomkram9702

Beta member
Alright i just moved into my new apartment from a college dorm, i had my computer hard wired at the dorm, but in the apartment i got a new linksys wireless-g pci adapater to connect to a Microsoft router. So anyway, i install the pci adapater and it says it is installed correctly, installed the drivers, and try and connect to the router,

i can connect to the router, but i get this message "You are connected to the Access Point, but the Internet cannot be found." Then in the network icon in the taskbar i get a message saying i have "limited or No Connectivity". I have full signal strength and am varying from 36 to 54 mbps, but i dont have any internet.

Ive done some research and I guess there is a bug with WinXP in the Registry so i downloaded winsock xp fix and that didnt help, and i ran some other patchs still to no avail. I then went into Command Prompt and released and renewed my ip but it won't let me renew my ip. I think this is were the problem may lie. When i try and release my ip i get this error. "An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has Timed Out." Im really stuck here and it is almost impossible to hardwire my computer. So if someone can help me here that would be amazing.

Wireless: Linksys Wireless - G PCI Adapter (Model No. WMP54G)
Edit/Delete Message

Try manually assigning an IP address to the computer (if that is possible) The deafuld router address is either 192.168.0.0, or 192.168.0.1.

You cant statically configur tcp ip to force ips. Because you have to purchase ips.

When you do an ip config, what are you getting:

"Media state, media disconnected"?

Or 169.xxx.xx.x?

burton_o6 said:
You cant statically configur tcp ip to force ips. Because you have to purchase ips.

When you do an ip config, what are you getting:

"Media state, media disconnected"?

Or 169.xxx.xx.x?
If you are behind a router.. yes you can. In his question he clearly states that he is behind a router, however his computer is saying cannot contact dhcp server. Check your router settings, and make sure that you have DHCP enabled on it. Chances are you are having an issue with spyware or something like that.

Ya you can physically put in a static ip address but your isp isnt going to allow you to use it. Just because he is on a router doesnt mean that he is not obtaining his ip address through the dhcp server. So....By all means, type in a static of your choice and see how far it gets you.

LOL ok if he tries to use an "External" ip of his choice. No it will not work. If he uses a 192. ip it is a private ip aka(only works inside your home network) or behind the router. This is not his public ip, which is assigned by the ISP. The router has a DHCP Server Built into it as well for the internal private network. If he cannot get his Computer To contact the DHCP server then it is refering to the router DHCP server that it cannot contact.

Back
Top Bottom