Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default laptop keeps disconnecting from network?

hi,

i have recently re-installed the OS on my laptop to windows xp as it was getting cluttered with excess information and its relatively outdated so it doesnt have alot of space. before reinstalling the os i didnt have any connection problems, however afterwards the problem i am having seems to be with the WEP key. i use a 128bit hexidecimal key (i do know what this means...) and the key is sometimes 'forgotten' by the computer, and i have to re-enter it. the laptop isnt switched between different networks. the router that i use is a linksys WRT150N, it supports multiple computers on the network, both using wireless and ethernet cables. neither the ethernet cabled' computers or the wireless ones have the same problem. the network card that the laptop uses is the "LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter"

any help would be greatly appreciated, this is becoming somewhat infuriating.

kind regards,
farmer3210

farmer3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: laptop keeps disconnecting from network?

Have you made sure the card has the latest drivers? That'd be the first thing I'd suggest checking.

As an aside - you really really shouldn't be using WEP. No-one should. True, it prevents casual people from browsing your network but it's ridiculously insecure, any old script kiddie with access to google or youtube could probably break in in about 5 minutes... I'd advise changing the encryption to WPA or WPA2 and use a good (non-dictionary) password.

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Solid State Member

sorry, i forgot to include that. yes, i have made sure the drivers are all updated. and i dont really need to bother so much about security as i do fixing the laptop...
Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Site Team

When you say:
Quote:
neither the ethernet cabled' computers or the wireless ones have the same problem.
What do you mean? That all the computers have this problem, just one wireless one..?

You could try removing and adding the network details, windows has been known to get confused. Go to control panel => network connections => right click wireless connection => properties. If your home network is there then remove it. Reboot and go to the same place again, but this time choose "new" and enter the relevant details.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Solid State Member

it means that only the laptop is having the problem... and ive got other computers, both wireless and otherwise connected to the network without problem... and thanks for the suggestion, i will give that a go.