LAN network very slow!

nickis

Solid State Member
i finally figured out how to get my network back up and running, yet it is very slow. The browsing lags a little but file transfer is at a crawl. The only computers on the network are windows 2000 and 98. They are connected with a d-link router.

Any ideas on why this is so slow? is it because they are different file systems, or do i need to open any ports?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

file systems will probably make a big diff, also assuming by the versions of windows they are running, they are probably older computers, which dont have much power for processing for that type of xfer, because they primarily were not built for such a thing. but on that note, file xfer on networks are pretty dependant on the system's doing the transfer. slow puter, slow xfer

then computers really are not that slow. the 2000 is at 2.5ghz and the 98 is at 1ghz, so idk

What kind of Hard drives/network cards/how much ram/whats your link speed on the network/how big are the files/are they large zip files or a folder full of random files/ all of those can affect performance.

Have you checked the physical network cables?

The file system does not make any different because the computers are using SMB/CIFS (Windows File Sharing) protocols.

Back
Top Bottom