Keep Virgin router settings even with a reset button press?

Xexitar

Beta member
This is going to sound a little confusing, but bare with me. TL;DR is basically the title. I need a way to keep the virgin router settings even with a button reset.

I pay for the internet in our house. I get no financial support with it whatsoever. I'm currently unemployed and living at home. Parent I live with is on benefits and essentially gets a free house. I also pay for all the electricity here. This is basically the clause for otherwise paying "rent" to be here, even though parent doesn't pay rent.

He has a younger son that lives here, who is draining the electric by being on the computer all day. It's costing me a fortune, more than my unemployed status can handle. I found a way to get him to not be here all the time, by adjusting the router settings to cut his computer off randomly throughout the day. I also disabled wi-fi. He eventually gets annoyed and goes to his other parent's house. This saves me more money than you'd think and actually gets him to go outside and play like a 'normal' child every now and then.

This has been working for over a year now (EDIT: I have not been unemployed for this long, only the last month). But parent has figured out that resetting the router puts the wi-fi back on and erases all the times I set to cut the child's internet off. He is now here all the time, using a computer, monitor, TV and Ps3 on simultaneously. So I need a way to stop the router reset from erasing the settings, though I'm sure it's not possible.

Any ideas?

Please no lectures on morality or the fact I should get a job. I'm paying for everything in this house despite nobody working. Ideas so far:

• Superglue the button
  • Tell parent that resetting has fucked up something on my PC - I can lie about anything as none are computer literate
  • Sabotage child's computer - last resort, maybe switch off his motherboard or take the fuse out the plug..
Virgin router is Superhub 2.

I had a router for a while that ran DD-WRT, and you could actually set the reset button so that it did nothing. However, if something went wrong, you were screwed.

Superglue the button
This would probably be effective however eventually your router will have a problem and then you'll have to buy a new one. That might negate any cost savings you would get by doing it.
Tell parent that resetting has fucked up something on my PC - I can lie about anything as none are computer literate
Is there really anything you need to lie about? Having them resetting your router all the time IS messing things up. I would just go this route and explain to the parent that they need to address the situation.

Sabotage child's computer - last resort, maybe switch off his motherboard or take the fuse out the plug..
Screwing with the kid's stuff would be kind of hypocritical since that's what he has been doing to YOUR router. Eventually they'll figure it out and then you'll have to deal with the drama.

If it were me I'd try to lock the router up somewhere that nobody can get to the reset button. If you want, you can tell them you moved it to improve the signal or something, lol.

Is there really anything you need to lie about? Having them resetting your router all the time IS messing things up. I would just go this route and explain to the parent that they need to address the situation.

Screwing with the kid's stuff would be kind of hypocritical since that's what he has been doing to YOUR router. Eventually they'll figure it out and then you'll have to deal with the drama.

I think you may have misunderstood. I'm the one that changed all the router settings. They revert to the only technical knowledge they have when something doesn't work: turn it off and back on again. It's only recently someone hit the reset button.

I told parent that whatever they did has reset all the proxy servers on my computer and I have to spend days putting them all back on - absolute waffle, but parent believed it lol. They denied resetting it but I know they did. Hopefully this will deter them, but I need a better, more permanent solution.

I'm struggling to think of anything other than making child's computer not work. Electric costs in this house have skyrocketed ever since that piece of shit was bought for child. Sigh.

I realize that you changed the router settings. Them resetting the router causes you to lose your configuration. hence they are messing with your router.

maybe you can get a second router as a 'dummy' and hide the real one somewhere else. Plug some cables into the dummy router and let them reset it all they want.

find some crappy router on craigslist or in the garbage, and tell them it's the new one you bought to fix the 'problems'

lol

Last edited:
Another good idea to prevent the other person from changing the settings is to change the default password used to access the router's settings.

I realize that you changed the router settings. Them resetting the router causes you to lose your configuration. hence they are messing with your router.

maybe you can get a second router as a 'dummy' and hide the real one somewhere else. Plug some cables into the dummy router and let them reset it all they want.

find some crappy router on craigslist or in the garbage, and tell them it's the new one you bought to fix the 'problems'

lol

That's a good idea, devious mate! :D

Could set it up so the reset button completely wipes all the settings (including those included for internet access which are stored in the router...)

You can also set up bandwidth settings using "Quality of Service" (QoS), but not too sure if that resets on the reset button being pressed too. You could restrict his internet speed to something stupidly slow!

Last edited:
If I were you I'd crack the thing open and de-solder the reset button.

at least that way you could add it again if needed.

Back
Top Bottom