I've got a question regarding HUB's and wireless!

Kezzer

Beta member
Well, it's a long story, but i hope you'll read and try to help me ;)

Well, I have bought a new PC today for my bedroom. In 2days my ISP (BT) is sending me a HUB so that both PC's can use the internet.

Now, the problem is.

The HUB is located upstairs, and my house is a splitlevel house. Now, between the HUB upstairs and my bedroom (Where the new PC is going) their is concrete flooring.

Now one of the guys at PCworld said a wireless network wouldn't go through concrete. So i rang my ISP and they said to get "Ethernet". I don't know what exactly ethernet is..

Can somebody go to www.pcworld.co.uk and tell me which product to buy to solve my problem. If the product isn't there, can you tell me how to solve the problem.

I need to buy from PCworld because it is a store near me and i don't have a creditcard, So i reserve my items online and pick it up at the store..

Thankyou for reading and have a very happy christmas and new years!

If you need ethernet mate. Its basically a wired connection. Ya need CAT5 cables

I'm a bit concerned with the term "HUB" being used here to allow 2 pc's to connect to the internet. You'll want to be sure that it's a SWITCH being installed rather than a HUB.

From this switch you will want to run ethernet CAT5 as Raffaz described to wherever your pc's are located.

The term is being used, coz its a product called BT home hub, that hes getting

Raffaz said:
The term is being used, coz its a product called BT home hub, that hes getting

Which is likely a router.

Anyways I have had luck with getting wireless thru up to 2 meters of concrete.

Guess that's why I wanted to make sure it was either a router or a switch & not a simple hub, which the name implies. :)

Back
Top Bottom