Ip Help!!!!!!!!

CF90

Solid State Member
I have Optimum Online as my ISP, as they assign IP's from their DHCP server. Okay, I've been trying to change my IP for a few days, but nothing has worked. I called them up and they claimed that they can't change it manually, since as said above, they're assigned under a DHCP server, and can't change on their own.

Now, getting to the point, can I change my IP? I have a set of mac addresses and they haven't worked. (ive been using programs such as: amac, macchanger, etc). Also, the current IP that I have now, I've had for quite sometime. However, when I type 'run' on the 'start' menu and click 'cmd.exe', it shows my network info and THIS:

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 27, 2005 3:56:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 31, 2005 3:56:04 AM

I know that I've had my current IP long before today. So why does it say the lease has been obtained today? And if so, when it expires, will I have a new IP?

If someone can answer all of these questions, it will be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

CF90

It says you obtained the address the 27th because that must be when you turned your PC on. Every time you turn your PC on it gets assigned an IP from a DHCP server; new or not. Also you do know if you have a router you have both a non-routable IP and routable IP right? I have a dynamic IP as well, however my IP hasn't changed for over six months. This can vary though, really it all depends on your ISP. I think the only thing you can do to try and change your own IP is to unplug your modem and plug it back in, in hopes that you will recieve a new IP address, although it's unlikely this will work. You will most likely have to wait for their DHCP server to change your IP.

Why do you want to change your IP anyways? If it's because you were banned from somewhere or want privacy, why not just use proxies?
http://tools.rosinstrument.com/proxy/

x0r515t said:
It says you obtained the address the 27th because that must be when you turned your PC on. Every time you turn your PC on it gets assigned an IP from a DHCP server; new or not. Also you do know if you have a router you have both a non-routable IP and routable IP right? I have a dynamic IP as well, however my IP hasn't changed for over six months. This can vary though, really it all depends on your ISP. I think the only thing you can do to try and change your own IP is to unplug your modem and plug it back in, in hopes that you will recieve a new IP address, although it's unlikely this will work. You will most likely have to wait for their DHCP server to change your IP.

Why do you want to change your IP anyways? If it's because you were banned from somewhere or want privacy, why not just use proxies?
http://tools.rosinstrument.com/proxy/

How long would I have to unplug my modem?

You have to leave it unplugged for 5mins and 31.5 secs. At that percise time plug it back in. If you dont get it at that time your ISP will know that you are trying to obtain a new IP address and disable you internet service account. You will have to call them to reactivate it. There will be a service fee most likly involved too.

AHAHAHAH JK

Most of the time you could just unplug it for a second or two. You could try to go to command prompt. run> "cmd" > "ipconfig /release" then> "ipconfig /flushdns". then when thats done. "ipconfig /renew". Then "ipconfig /registerdns"

Probably wont work. Never tried it with a Cable/DSL Modem. Worth a try though.

OR, If you can log into a user interface of your modem or if you have a router that has a user interface mode. Then if may have a section where you can release and renew your IP address.

Hi, Just because your IP address expires doesn't mean you will get a new one. If there is not traffic on that ip address as/after the ip expires then in a set amount of minutes, hours, days, weeks the ip address will become available to other nodes on that network i.e. the isp's network. only if another node requests an ip address and the pool is empty will your address be taken. So its likely that the reserved time on that ip after the lease expires (Tombstoned) is probably 3-10 days. So I would leave my modem/router disconnected from the phone line for a week or so. Some routers do allow you to release and renew an ip address; however it is ultimately controlled by your ISP.

the D-link router i use has an option to release/renew its ip from the dhcp server, by the way, why do you want to change your ip? Is there something wrong with the one you have?

Normally the DHCP scope is very small. Most of the time the IP address you get is actually the address of the gateway??? Confusing, but this is away in which the ISP can control its security easily + much less administration/labour on DHCP. DHCP isn't configured in the way as your average office/home network. Almost like a peer-2-peer connection to the gateway.

CF90 said:
I have Optimum Online as my ISP, as they assign IP's from their DHCP server. Okay, I've been trying to change my IP for a few days, but nothing has worked. I called them up and they claimed that they can't change it manually, since as said above, they're assigned under a DHCP server, and can't change on their own.

Now, getting to the point, can I change my IP? I have a set of mac addresses and they haven't worked. (ive been using programs such as: amac, macchanger, etc). Also, the current IP that I have now, I've had for quite sometime. However, when I type 'run' on the 'start' menu and click 'cmd.exe', it shows my network info and THIS:

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 27, 2005 3:56:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 31, 2005 3:56:04 AM

I know that I've had my current IP long before today. So why does it say the lease has been obtained today? And if so, when it expires, will I have a new IP?

If someone can answer all of these questions, it will be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

CF90

you cant change your ip. you have to wait till DHCP decides its time for a change mate.

sure try to release and renew and what not but to your dismay it probably wont work!

your mac address is the physical address of your network card. when the manufacturer makes your network card it puts a mac address on it. this can not be changed. thats why those programs did not work!

best thing to try and do it wait! dont forget patience is a virtue! hehe

hope dhcp changes your ip soon!

natalya

Does everyone on this site just talk out of there ar**?

It seems that if people aren't stating the obvious, they're just talking rubbish!!!!

It amazes me how everyone responds to replies with an even higher level of rubbish content. Fantastic!

Richyrocker said:
Does everyone on this site just talk out of there ar**?

It seems that if people aren't stating the obvious, they're just talking rubbish!!!!

It amazes me how everyone responds to replies with an even higher level of rubbish content. Fantastic!

Well, to fix any matter, one must start with stating the obvious because that is what people are inclined to overlook.

If you feel that all we do is talk rubbish then you do not need to add comments like those above. Why don't you act better than us and not say anything?

You know what, your response was the biggest load of rubbish out of the lot! Not only were you off the subject of this thread, but your remarks didn't help anyone in the slightest!

Next time try and be a tad more helpful and NICE, because there is no space for people like you here!

Have a nice day =D

Natalya

Back
Top Bottom