IP configuration? how 2 do manually

CompGeekChic3k1

Beta member
does anyone noe how to configure ur ip address manually via the local area connection (lan) properties?

i can change it but so can anyone but how do u make one that works? thats my problem, can anyone help? i have a static connection with a cable company, and my ip is assigned by the dhcp (what is that) so can i manually configure it effectively? do u just mess around with the numbers until u get one or is there trick or specif rule or anything to it??

wut can u put under the actual ip address box, the subnet mask, the default gateway, preferred dns server, alternate dns server??

thx4 the help!!

also if u wait until ur "lease" expires and u turn off ur modem at that point in time, dissallowing ur modem to renew ur current lease with that specific ip address, can u get a new one? any help appreciated

Well you cant change you IP since you are obtaining from you cable company. If you are having trouble with someone messing around with you by tracking you IP maybe you can talk to you cable company so they will give you a new one.

That really is the only available solutoin srry.

are you sure?! what about the lease expiration time? in that small window of expiration of the lease, does it usually renew the lease for that ip if the machine (the cable modem) is on? so that means that if the cable modem and comp are off no renewal of that specific ip. right?

what about proxy servers? i tried to configure it through the internet properties, but it didn't seem to work. any suggestions?

If you are running a small network that means your using a router. Therefore you don't need to mess around with your ip settings. If you wish to run multiple computers all with internet connection. Just setup your router to work with DHCP(Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) enabled and set up your other computers to assign IP automatically.

Other options you have is to enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your main computer. Then, connect all your other computers to your main computer through a router.

You can mess around with your IP settings but you need to know how to setup a porper subnet Mask that meets your network needs....But thats a whole different animal....

Also, to answer your question about DHCP. its nothing more than a protocol that assigns IP addresses. In regards to lease times, when your lease time is up DHCP will automatically renew your IP configurations....

dude load up start>run> cmd and them type in ipconfig and u should be able to edit ur ip address from there.

try [from a dos box]

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

this should instruct the DHCP server to give you a new address.
(I assume you've had an IP ban from a forum?)

be careful also about your IP! sometimes your cable provider wont give you a new one for an hour or more! soemtimes days!

Back
Top Bottom