Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Internet speeds... help

Okay so i just started college and i know there are hundreds of kids all using the same internet, and my computer is not slow or normal in the least. so im just wondering if there is anything i can do to speed it up ? i can't even skype with my girlfriend! its at .93 Mb =/

Also would it be possible to say use a different provider for my internet than anyone else in the building?

kr1ck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Internet speeds... help

No, that is the speed you are getting. You 'may' be able to use a different provider. I doubt however, that since you are in a dorm, a provider would want to come and hook you up and the college won't allow them too anyway. Unfortunately you are pretty well stuck with what you've got.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Beta Member

i may kill myself now. lol
kr1ck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Beta Member

I'm not too sure, but you can always try getting closer to the access point. It will increase signal strength and possibly bandwidth as well.
Cookiesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to RiverS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesz View Post
I'm not too sure, but you can always try getting closer to the access point. It will increase signal strength and possibly bandwidth as well.
There is nothing that you can do really. If indeed you are on wireless (and your signal strength was low) you could move it closer... but im guessing that your comp is in your room... and you dont want it to get stolen lol.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
No, that is the speed you are getting. You 'may' be able to use a different provider. I doubt however, that since you are in a dorm, a provider would want to come and hook you up and the college won't allow them too anyway. Unfortunately you are pretty well stuck with what you've got.

Wow, that really sucks. I guess the only other option is Netcafe (although I doubt you can find one close to the school)...
Gamputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
In Runtime

You could go around door to door and tell them to stop torrenting/p2p'ing and you'd probably see a significant speed increase.
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO | 4gb DDR3 GSkill | 550W Corsair power supply | AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1ghz(Unlocked 2 extra cores) | Sapphire 4870 512mb | 500gb Samsung |21.5" 1080p Hdmi Dell monitor| 21.6" Samsung monitor | RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG | Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
CBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to TitanMATRIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroniclez06 View Post
You could go around door to door and tell them to stop torrenting/p2p'ing and you'd probably see a significant speed increase.
haha that Torrent is AWFUL at sucking bandwidth. That file share just sucks. I was reading an article on that and several businesses are now putting a complete ban on extreme filesharing like torrent because the network can't even operate. Just a big trouble maker for networks.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1ck1 View Post
Okay so i just started college and i know there are hundreds of kids all using the same internet, and my computer is not slow or normal in the least. so im just wondering if there is anything i can do to speed it up ? i can't even skype with my girlfriend! its at .93 Mb =/

Also would it be possible to say use a different provider for my internet than anyone else in the building?
Do you use WI-FI? If so check out an antenna...they go for about $20 and it doubled my wi fi signal speed. if it's ethernet you're pretty much screwed.
Mantook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to TitanMATRIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantook View Post
if it's ethernet you're pretty much screwed.
I wouldn't say you're screwed at all. There is a lot of stuff that can be fixed with Ethernet connections. Plus the signal strength might not be the issue here.