internet not working

Copperhead

In Runtime
i have a netgear router and i know it works because i took the ethernet cable out of my computer and put it in my old computer, which is how im here now.

my computer is picking up an ip address and a subnet mask but i still cant connect. no internet (ie and firefox) no aim no itunes music store.

when i run:cmd, ping www.yahoo.com it doesnt respond

does anyone kno whats wrong?

HELP!

are you NIC (network card) drivers installed? it is installed in the computer correctly?

if so, try redoing it? uninstall it and reinstall it.

Captain Pooka said:
are you NIC (network card) drivers installed? it is installed in the computer correctly?

if so, try redoing it? uninstall it and reinstall it.

umm idk, how do i do that?

well... first off all, did you buy a new network card? if you dont know what that is then probaby not.

give me your computer type.
ex. mine is hp pavillion 541c
Says on tower.. give me that and Ill give you a link for a driver.

-Q

um, I dont think your NIC is listed

NIC = Network card = The thing the cat 5 plugs into.

You may have not even installed it then? If you built it yourself, it should have came with a CD. But you still want to check for updates. Tell me what it says onthe box lol, or just type it into google, followed my drivers.
Or go to their home page :D

lol, hope this helps!

-Q

Copperhead said:
i have a netgear router and i know it works because i took the ethernet cable out of my computer and put it in my old computer, which is how im here now.

my computer is picking up an ip address and a subnet mask but i still cant connect. no internet (ie and firefox) no aim no itunes music store.

when i run:cmd, ping www.yahoo.com it doesnt respond

does anyone kno whats wrong?

HELP!

If you are picking up an IP address from DCHP this means that your network card is working properly. However it does appear that your router is not properly picking up an internet connection.

This can be a few reasons.
No username and password entered in the router (Mainly for DSL)
MAC address conflicts (Mainly for Cable, try setting the routers MAC address to the last connected PC)
Cabling is wrong (Run your cable from your modem into your WAN / Internet port)

I think your computer was assigned an automatic private address (Basically a null address) - windows does this when DCHP has a problem. In my opinion, DHCP is really stupid - never use it unless you run a large business with a lot of computers. Ive had many problems with it not assigning an ip to a computer because it takes so long to assign one. To solve this problem, go to the router and assign an ip address to each of your computers. Once done, go to the tcp/ip properties of your computers and type the ip address you assigned to that computer.

For example, if you assigned 192.168.0.100 for computer 1 at the router, go to computer 1's tcp/ip properties and type in the same address you assigned for computer 1.

Also, dont forget to set the DNS server (for your computers) to the ip address of your router (most likely 192.168.0.1).

AnonymousI said:
I think your computer was assigned an automatic private address (Basically a null address) - windows does this when DCHP has a problem. In my opinion, DHCP is really stupid - never use it unless you run a large business with a lot of computers. Ive had many problems with it not assigning an ip to a computer because it takes so long to assign one. To solve this problem, go to the router and assign an ip address to each of your computers. Once done, go to the tcp/ip properties of your computers and type the ip address you assigned to that computer.

For example, if you assigned 192.168.0.100 for computer 1 at the router, go to computer 1's tcp/ip properties and type in the same address you assigned for computer 1.

Also, dont forget to set the DNS server (for your computers) to the ip address of your router (most likely 192.168.0.1).

You must be using awful DHCP servers than, i've never had a problem

Back
Top Bottom