Internet Is Extremely Bad, Only on One PC

UR2BTOAST

Beta member
Hi!

I play lots of internet games and this has become so much of a problem that it has basically prohibited my from playing anything online, so I figured it was about time to fix this issue. The issue; is that whenever i'm playing a game requiring internet (this will often happen just browsing the web as well...), I lose connection or lag so bad that I get disconnected. This is by no means a way to play, and it's not fun at all. I experience this problem at its' greatest magnitude playing TF2 and BF4 (my guess is because they require fast,constant pings to keep you in-time with the game and players around you).Just about the only internet game that runs smoothly is minecraft multi-player. Here's where it gets tricky. There are three PC's in the house (two of which are used for gaming) and neither of the other two have issues when playing the same games aside from the slight internet blip here and there that is to be expected. I want to know what could be causing this, and how I could resolve it. The internet problem happens to me when I'm the only one on the internet, or when all three of us are on so bandwidth/internet usage are out of the question (in my opinion). The current Wi-Fi card I have is the stock installed one from HP, a Ralink RT3290 (its about a 10$ card). The "antenna" are two wires that sit in mounts that should be screwed into the case. When I swapped cases, there isn't a place to screw them in so I have the mounts up top between the fans and case top to keep them secure (the antenna aren't being kinked/bent/touched, just the metal bracket that is holding them). My computer is overqualified to run any of these games, I get an average of 100 fps on BF4 with high settings, so it's not render lag from cpu/gpu, it truly is the internet.

First off, any insight is appreciated as well as a way to fix it.
Second, I would like opinions on whether or not people think buying a better wi-fi card would help. The Ralink is a mini pci and the card I'm looking at plugs into a pci express slot (if anyone's interested, I'm looking at the Asus ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac).
Third, the video I have attached is of the network information in control panel during the bad internet connection "sessions". You can see that the internet is spiking and is all over the place in terms of connection.

I hope that's everything, and I really hope I can fix my problem!

Thanks!

A lot of people on various sites and forums have complained that their speeds and performance are very poor..

WOW! I think, therefore I am confused. You're using a laptop wireless network card in a desktop rig? Is that right?
What computer do you have?

My little monster has a TP-Link N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter TL-WDN4800 - Welcome to TP-LINK
I have not had one single moments problem out of it. It plugs in to a 1X PCI-E port. My router is a beefy monster also. N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router TL-WDR4300 - Welcome to TP-LINK

You want to play games online, you have to get the hardware that will stand up to job.

Seti, some Hewlett-Packard systems that came with a multimedia idea behind their use seen a wireless adapter in. Most of the time, they steal a USB header on the motherboard. I've even seen boards with DDR-III and their power supplies came with only 2 SATA power connectors, while there was loads of molex.

Ralink is a brand HP loved to use in their system for cost reasons. Problem was; Ralink is a very unreliable wireless adapter and over time, they get worse, until they all die.

Change the wireless adapter and see if that fixes it. If not, go to your router setup and disable QoS and see if it makes a difference.

I understand that concept in prebuilts. And I'm very familiar with the name brand wireless's horrible track record. If I had to make a choice between Broadcom and Ralink, I'd have to go with Broadcom. Lesser of two evils.

Another thing to look at is how much bandwidth you have coming in from your ISP. If below 20mbps then it might be time to step up to the next tier from your ISP. Sometimes it's just that simple.

Back
Top Bottom