Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Internet connectivity problem on a Dell Optiplex 755

Hi

I have a really strange issue. I have a dell optiplex 755 desktop PC with Windows 7.

I cannot connect to the internet via ethernet or my usb wifi adapter. I am connected to the network but cannot get the internet to work.

The pc gets an IP from the DHCP correctly and I have made sure the DNS settings are correct and also tried google's dns.

I thought there may be a problem with the OS, so I did a full reinstall, and I get the exact same problem. Same problem, whether I use ethernet or WiFi.

I have also tried the same PC with a different router in a different building and get the same problem. I have installed all the drivers possible to see if it will make a difference. The NIC is a Intel 82566-DM Gigabit

What does work is if I boot from an Ubuntu Live cd - internet works without a squeak through ethernet. I know there is definitely no issue in my wiring or router as all other PCs connected to same wire work fine.

Anyone come across such an issue before

Thanks

Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Internet connectivity problem on a Dell Optiplex 755

I had a bad network card do that once. Nobody believed me, but we RMA'd the computer and they confirmed it was bad hardware. I don't know if t that's the case here though. DO you have a default gateway and can you ping that? can you ping an IP address on the internet? Maybe also try a couple traceroutes and see where they drop at.

crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Check your date and time settings. If they are way off then you can have this problem.
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:19 AM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterTech View Post
Check your date and time settings. If they are way off then you can have this problem.
Yep had this a couple of weeks ago with a laptop. Couldn't work it out at first. Then just happened to notice the date and time were way out. Changed the bios battery and everything was fine.
pete.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

I think that since the NIC works fine with Ubuntu, the card is good. I'd check date/time settings as already suggested.

You might also try rebooting your router if you haven't already done so. I have encountered issues where all my other computers could connect but one couldn't, rebooted router and all could connect.
strollin is online now   Reply With Quote