Internet connection doesn't work on laptop when first switched on

Pixie1

Beta member
I recently brought a new Acer Windows 8 64-bit laptop. I'm mostly very pleased with it, except for one issue. Whenever I turn on the laptop, the internet refuses to work.

The network icon on the taskbar will usually either state 'identifying...', 'limited connection' or it will says I'm connected with internet access and full bars, but both internet explorer and google chrome will refuse to work and will often display pages like 'error 102, network/connection change detected' or occasionally I will get a DNS lookup error.

The good news is, the internet does work after I restart the computer, but obviously it's a hassle having to switch on the laptop and then restart it and wait for it to reboot before I can do anything with it.

I'm using my home internet connection, my wireless Virgin Media 'superhub' modem. It's connected to several things in my house including two other (desktop) computers, my PS3, Nintendo Wii U, PS Vita, Blackberry Curve phone, Nintendo 3DS, etc.
I'm not experiencing any issues like this with any of my other devices, and never have done. The only time I get internet problems with those is when there is a problem with the modem, such as maintenance in the area, etc.

Does anyone have any solutions?

Just wanted to say that it is actually error 21, not 102.
Also, I think the problem MAY have been that my laptop was switching off my wireless connection to save power, but I've now disabled this in device manager.
And I say MAY because I recently got the exact same error 21 page on my other wireless desktop computer, so it's possible that there may just be issues with the internet connection in my area at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom