Interesting Problem

the_eternal

Beta member
My internet connection runs through a router then through the modem (it's an ADSL connection). There is a number of machines connected to the router, two newish PC's a PS2 and a wireless access point, trick is after a while one of the computers will stop accessing the internet. MSN Messenger will stay connected and if FireFox is logged into a server I can continue to access that server but I can't get onto any others. I'm running WinXP Pro, the IP's are assigned by the router. Once the connection goes down on the computer if I disable then re-enable the LAN connection the internet starts working again, about 50% of the time. The other machine will still work even if the one with the problem goes down, so there is clearly no WAN issues. I can also access all other computers on the network even if the internet isn't working.

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated since I'm at the limits of my knowledge and patiece here.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a DHCP problem.....Have you made sure that your DSL isn't DHCP enabled? Check your DNS settings aswell....

The router is the DHCP server, if that's not what you mean I don't understand, also the DNS is autodetect via the ISP, the network settings are the same on both of the computers and like I said one works all the time the other drops out.

I've also noticed that if it's left for a while the internet will sometime start working again.

check cables and the obvious first. then make sure all settings are correct. might have to set static IPs across private net. and autosense dns

I installed Modzilla FireFox on the older machine and now it has started having the same problem as the new machine. I uninstalled FireFox and rebooted and everything but the same problem kept occuring, could it be that my LAN can't keep track of the IPs provided by the DHCP server on the router? I've checked the cables and everything, I've had LAN parties in the last few weeks lasting over 48 hrs and the entire LAN worked perfectly, it's just getting access to the WAN after a while that the computers seem to have trouble with.

Back
Top Bottom