Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default ICS at my bros place

Hey guys, my bro has a conundrum he want help with.

He has a laptop with Vista and a desktop with XP. He has a usb wireless adapter on the laptop and none on the desk. He wants to share internet connections using lan cables. We have rummaged together a linksys router, a 2link router, and a linksys wireless router, along with neccesary cables.

My attempts at setting it up have failed. The lan network works but all sharing (files, internet, remote desktop, etc) have not yet functioned. Is this a xp-vista deal, because ut may be possible to dual boot with xp on the laptop.

Any help is appreciated.

Toshiba Satellite | Core2Duo @ 2.0 ghz | 3gb ram | 250 gb hd | lolintelgma | Ubuntu 10.04
dudelewis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: ICS at my bros place

Definately a XP-Vista issue, at least with file sharing. However, it should be able to be worked through. I don't know so much about the internet sharing, but if you have a wireless router and a wireless adapter you shouldn't need to "share" the internet. You should be able to hook up the wireless router to the modem and pick up the signal from that. Then connect the desktop directly to the router.

I don't know how much you know so ask more questions if you need to.

File and Print Sharing between XP and Vista
1. Make sure files/print sharing is turned on in XP.
2. On the Vista computer make sure that everything in the Network and Sharing Center is turned on and that the network is set to private and not public (this is kind of confusing but private means the the network is a private network thus allowing the computer to be discoverable).
3. Make sure there are shared folders on both the XP and the Vista computer.
4. Browse by IP to the Vista from the XP and see if you can get there. Try from the Vista to the XP.

Post back results/questions.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

He has one wireless adapter, and two computers.

I can ping the ips from each computer, but can't navigate to them.

Toshiba Satellite | Core2Duo @ 2.0 ghz | 3gb ram | 250 gb hd | lolintelgma | Ubuntu 10.04
Old 08-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

One of the routers is wireless correct? Could you not plug in the desktop to the router with an ethernet cable and use the adapter on the laptop?

Well, pinging them is a start...

On the XP go to START > RUN type \\IP ADDRESS OF VISTA and see if that allows you to browse.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Don't you need an adapter to recieve the signal? or can router do that too?

Old 08-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to adrianh

Folder sharing over the networks isn't a big problem in xp.vista just really confusing.
adrianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

OP: How's this going?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Not too good with vista, but I think he's going to dual boot xp on his laptop, so I think he will have it under control.