Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
In Runtime
 
jarlmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 473
Default Re: I need faster internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIT View Post


---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------



I can understand why they won't go higher. If they add onto the bandwidth, they'll get a fixed rate for 12 months, then it fluctuates. They started the plan in 2001 and haven't looked back. I think I'm leaning towards a hotspot but I'm unsure of how much data I should include
2001?! Holy crap. How much do they pay if you don't mind me asking? I understand though. ISP's are obnoxious.
__________________

jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: I need faster internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlmaster View Post
2001?! Holy crap. How much do they pay if you don't mind me asking? I understand though. ISP's are obnoxious.
They pay $49 for 1.47 Mbps (I just ran it on speedtest.net) and our phone line. They somehow bargained to keep at that one fixed rate and they don't want to lose it....
__________________

__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: I need faster internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
That's not really a bargain. Until 3 weeks ago when I moved, I was paying $45/month for a 75Mbps connection from Comcast that regularly tested at 90Mbps.
I'm green with envy right now.... . But seriously.... Does anyone know how much gaming plus voice chatting (like skype or steam voice chat) would take up? I almost want to say 90-100 MB per hour, but I don't know.
__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
BikerEcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,013
Default Re: I need faster internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
Well woop de doop! if you think you are that clever go and sort your parents out and stop asking daft questions.
So who pissed in your morning coffee pete?

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIT View Post
I'm green with envy right now.... . But seriously.... Does anyone know how much gaming plus voice chatting (like skype or steam voice chat) would take up? I almost want to say 90-100 MB per hour, but I don't know.
I have no idea. But there are program out there that can monitor your computers internet usage.
Also per program. So you can take skype + "insert game here" and get the data you are looking for.

What's your ping btw?
Ping is the most important factor in online gaming.
__________________
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 512 + LiteOn LCS-256 - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #15
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: I need faster internet...

Ping over hotspots tends to be high in my experiances. That and device + data tends to end up costing as much if not more than a dedicated line from an ISP.

Decent quality audio averages around 100MB per hour (again based on my experiences). The games themselves can vary based on how much they save on your PC vs Load off the server, and how much exact communication is sent back and fourth. Your best bet is like Biker said and use a program to monitor your usage.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #16
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: I need faster internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Ping over hotspots tends to be high in my experiances. That and device + data tends to end up costing as much if not more than a dedicated line from an ISP.

Decent quality audio averages around 100MB per hour (again based on my experiences). The games themselves can vary based on how much they save on your PC vs Load off the server, and how much exact communication is sent back and fourth. Your best bet is like Biker said and use a program to monitor your usage.
That's nuts. That is double what people are saying just gaming should be at (one said DayZ runs at 50) but yeah, I'll install the program tonight and play a couple hours of PayDay and I'll use steam voice chat and see what I'm pulling in. Thanks guys!
__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
In Runtime
 
jarlmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 473
Default Re: I need faster internet...

49 bucks for 1.47 mpbs is highway robbery and your ISP should be ashamed of themselves for charging that. My parents pay 30 a month for 5 mpbs down. Do your parents realize how badly they're getting fleeced?
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #18
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: I need faster internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlmaster View Post
49 bucks for 1.47 mpbs is highway robbery and your ISP should be ashamed of themselves for charging that. My parents pay 30 a month for 5 mpbs down. Do your parents realize how badly they're getting fleeced?
I do not know if they are ignorant or what. Of course I cannot bring that up with them, or I'm disrespectful and I've overstepped by bounds Anywho, Time Warner offers 15 Mbps at $34 a month, but I do not know if they can offer a flat rate.
__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 PM   #19
In Runtime
 
jarlmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 473
Default Re: I need faster internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIT View Post
I do not know if they are ignorant or what. Of course I cannot bring that up with them, or I'm disrespectful and I've overstepped by bounds Anywho, Time Warner offers 15 Mbps at $34 a month, but I do not know if they can offer a flat rate.
What a shocker. An ISP can't offer a decent rate. This country and it's internet I swear.
jarlmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:46 PM   #20
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: I need faster internet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlmaster View Post
What a shocker. An ISP can't offer a decent rate. This country and it's internet I swear.
Don't get me wrong; I dislike the government and I don't like legislation that interferes with our freedom, but we are getting royally screwed when it comes to ISP's picking our prices and whatever. Something needs to be done. Either they are to only offer one flat unchangeable rate, or they need to charge less then they are for their service.
__________________

__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0