How might I set up a remote workstation?

snowshooze

Solid State Member
Hi all!
New member here.
I own a workshop, and have computer controlled equipment.
My main computer is upstairs, and the equipment is on the main floor.
I am constantly having to run upstairs, send program to machine, run downstairs, receive download...
So I am running two things, 50' apart.
Now, if I went with turbomeeting, logmein... stuff like that, I could use remote control over internet with a seperate laptop down at the machines.
But, well, that seems a bit over-done.
Can I just set it up so I am just using a laptop to run the computer upstairs as a remote workstation without going on the internet?
I am not the sharpest pencil in the box with computers.
In fact, I am probably the worst...

My many thanks!
Mark

Do you have a network setup? It seems to me that networking the 2 computers together would give you the ability to share a drive on the upstairs computer with the downstairs computer. When you needed something from the upstairs computer you would then be able to retrieve it while sitting at the downstairs computer.

Do you have a network setup? It seems to me that networking the 2 computers together would give you the ability to share a drive on the upstairs computer with the downstairs computer. When you needed something from the upstairs computer you would then be able to retrieve it while sitting at the downstairs computer.

Well, I have the wireless router, and everything has bluetooth, so I agree, I should be able to do that.
I guess that is what I want to do. But, as I said, I am just awful at this stuff.
My understanding of network settings is that it generally is set up to share internet conections, printers and devices.

Actually operating my upstairs computer though, from my toughbook downstairs, I don't know.
Thanks!

Mark

Are both computers connected to the router? If they both are, then you simply need to create a share for the drive/folder on the upstairs computer that you wish to access from the downstairs computer. Here's a tutorial that will help you do that: Build and Set Up a Home Network- Beginners Guide

What you asked for originally and what I have proposed, is to be able to transfer files from one computer to the other without having to run up/down stairs. To actually operate the upstairs computer from the downstairs computer requires using some additional software such as the free TeamViewer.

Sounds good.
Ok, we actually have to run that upstairs computer, without pulling wire.
So, is the team-viewer also internet based?
Which as funny as it sounds, is the easiest way to accomplish what I am doing, but I am trying to avoid even going to the net.
In practical terms, I am essentially looking for a wireless keyboard and monitor... with range.
As all that is in the tough-book.. it seems simple.
Well, simple to a guy like me that knows pretty much nothing about computers.

I'll go take a peek at the team-viewer.
Oh, and this is business.
I am not worried about throwing money at it.

Thanks again!

Mark

Ok, back from Team-viewer.
Yep, internet based again.

I am starting to think pulling wire isn't a horrible option.
Punch a hole in the wall, pitch a wire through, then down a column, keyboard and monitor.
How far can I cable off ?
So far as wire goes, point to point, probably 20' or so.
Can I push signal through that much wire ok?

Thanks again!
Mark

Last edited:
Hi there again...
Now I have discovered Dell's wireless monitors.
Snapdragon stuff.
It is an option.

Ultimately, it would be best to be on the laptop but controlling the Cray in the office.
That way, I could wander from machine to machine.

And, well the reasons I'd prefer to stay off the internet is because I am controlling machines.

The Cray only rarely goes on the net for updates and upgrades.
And, it ain't a toy, all it does in life is CAD/CAM and upload/download to the machines on the floor. In case you were curious on that.

So, to avoid corruption and interruption, I would rather be running a closed system.

Last edited:
Splashtop is one remote desktop program that doesn't require internet, just local wifi or ethernet... not sure it would run on cray...

Just use remote desktop. It requires just a local network, no internet access. It's built into windows. You just need to turn it on.

In order to run Remote Desktop, the upstairs computer would need to be running Windows Pro or Enterprise. Home versions of Windows can only act as a client, not as a host for Remote Desktop operation.

You could install VNC (it's free) and not have that limitation.

In order to run Remote Desktop, the upstairs computer would need to be running Windows Pro or Enterprise. Home versions of Windows can only act as a client, not as a host for Remote Desktop operation.

You could install VNC (it's free) and not have that limitation.
Good point, I forgot that.

Back
Top Bottom