How to get internet on another desktop.

zenek

Solid State Member
Hey guys, i have a desktop in one room that receives internet through a modem with a cable from optimum. And i have just ordered a new desk and i am putting it in another room and i am wondering how to get internet on the new computer. What should i buy or get for the new computer so that both computers can be on the internet at the same time?

Is the modem internal (like a PCI card installed inside your PC) or external (a little box that conects to the network port on your PC). If it's external then setting up a broadband router to share the connection is an option.

More than likely, you should be able to share this connection using a broadband router. You connect the modem (little box) to the WAN port on the router and then connect each PC to the LAN ports on the router. It's a little more complicated than my description indicates, but not too much. The instructions that come with the router will no doubt be pretty easy to follow.

^Assuming you'll be able to run a cable from the new computer back to the area where the modem/router will sit.

You will definately need a router to share the connection. If you are not able to run a cable from the modem/router then you can look at getting a USB-Wireless adapter for your desktop and a Wireless Router. This will allow you to connect with out running cables. Although it's not as reliable as wired, and it's possible that you could run into interference in the walls, it's an option.

Back
Top Bottom