Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default how to convert to UDP

What exactly is the difference between a UDP connection and a TCP/IP connection?

How do I know which one I'm using? and how do I convert to UDP if I'm using TCP?

Dnsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: how to convert to UDP

UDP just sends a packet, and hopes it's recieved, their is no conformation that is recieved.

TCP open a connections and checks to see if the packet arrived. Their's a good explination wikipedia.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
In Runtime

you cant convert it .. just does not work that way.
bilbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
Baseband Member

lets say taht im making a server-client connection, how do i make it UDP?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnsgm
lets say taht im making a server-client connection, how do i make it UDP?
Manage to get the soruce code (For many products, this will involve breaking into a building and finding it). The second step is to completly redesign the program. The third step is to recompile and run it.

Basicly, the program chooses what it wants to do. 99% of the software out their does not let you choose between UDP and TCP
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
In Runtime

in other words you can not.

why do you want udp?
bilbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbus
in other words you can not.

why do you want udp?

i smell a jr peewee league jax0r in the making...errr, dreaming

but...control 5 servers, one switch rack with 300 ports protected by cisco router, 300 PC's, 75 notebooks over a wLAN ;)
rramzjr@hotmail.com
systeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
Baseband Member

it's for a coming up game that we're developping. We've used only TCP so far, but the game is starting to lag. So i did a research on it and it said UDP is better for games. But how do we choose to UDP instead?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

UDP is "stateless" - it just blasts away packets and hopes for the best. As there's no error checking at either end, it's faster - but you get "lag" because some packets are missing/corrupted, hence why your CS man leaps from one side of the screen to the other... it's because the packets for the motion in between are missing, or arriving too infrequently to be any use, by which time the game might "guess" where they moved to.

TCP, on the other hand, has acknowledgement on packet receipt, and calls for a resend if there are any packets missing. This creates overheads, and doesn't make any sense seeing as the packets, under TCP, have to be scheduled into the correct order.

UDP is better, seeing as it's a whole damn lot faster, which is especially important if you're playing something like UT. TCP creates too many overheads, and the 2-way communication slows everything right down.

Use UDP.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK31337
UDP is "stateless" - it just blasts away packets and hopes for the best. As there's no error checking at either end, it's faster - but you get "lag" because some packets are missing/corrupted, hence why your CS man leaps from one side of the screen to the other... it's because the packets for the motion in between are missing, or arriving too infrequently to be any use, by which time the game might "guess" where they moved to.

TCP, on the other hand, has acknowledgement on packet receipt, and calls for a resend if there are any packets missing. This creates overheads, and doesn't make any sense seeing as the packets, under TCP, have to be scheduled into the correct order.

UDP is better, seeing as it's a whole damn lot faster, which is especially important if you're playing something like UT. TCP creates too many overheads, and the 2-way communication slows everything right down.

Use UDP.
thanks for the quick textbook reading, but he wants to know HOW to enable UDP usage...i think you should ask this question in "computer programming" not here....

but...control 5 servers, one switch rack with 300 ports protected by cisco router, 300 PC's, 75 notebooks over a wLAN ;)
rramzjr@hotmail.com
systeq is offline   Reply With Quote