Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Home Networking problem in Vista

I am transferring files between computers on a private network, both running windows vista ultimate. I send my music folder and some other ones from my desktop to my laptop, and that works fine. When it finishes, I go to send more files and my laptop cannot access or even see my desktop in the network. I have tried rebooting, disabling/enabling the network, messing with the network discovery options, and anything else imaginable and the laptop still will not see my desktop. The connection is fine because I can still access my laptop from my desktop. I did not change A THING and it just decides to stop seeing my desktop out of nowhere. Did I mention I'm really fed up with Vista right about now?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to TitanMATRIX
Default Re: Home Networking problem in Vista

Well it doesn't sound like a network problem since the other computer is using it just fine. It seems as though your laptop is having the problem which isolates the problem.

In the mean time to transfer your folders try setting up a network drive. Upload whatever you need to the network drive and maybe the laptop can see the drive instead of the desktop.

haha done with Vista huh? I have yet to encounter a problem with vista on my laptop... I actually really like vista and ready to see windows 7.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Sounds like a DNS problem. Try accessing the share using the IP address instead of the computer name. Let's say your desktop is called PC1 and it's IP address is 192.168.1.10. Bring up the Run.. box and type in \\192.168.1.10 and press enter (the Run box can be opened up by holding down the Windows key and pressing R). This should bring up all the shares on \\PC1. That would at least be a workaround until the root DNS issue could be addressed.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to TitanMATRIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
Sounds like a DNS problem. Try accessing the share using the IP address instead of the computer name. Let's say your desktop is called PC1 and it's IP address is 192.168.1.10. Bring up the Run.. box and type in \\192.168.1.10 and press enter (the Run box can be opened up by holding down the Windows key and pressing R). This should bring up all the shares on \\PC1. That would at least be a workaround until the root DNS issue could be addressed.
I'm still learning all of this... but what tips it off that its a DNS problem?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMATRIX View Post
I'm still learning all of this... but what tips it off that its a DNS problem?
Just the fact that he could connect by computer name one minute and can't the next. I asked him to try and connect using the IP address to test this. If IP address connections have no problems, then that would mean that there must be a problem when the IP address is resolving to a host name. And that's pretty much what DNS does.