ok ive been searching for this all over the net and been asking in other forums but no one can help me out, hopefully you guys can. ok so i have 5 computers and they all run in the same network but for some reason the main computer cannot detect the other 4 computers. i have 3 desktops running xp and 2 laptops on vista. my main focus right now is on the xp's. just to let u know 2 computers are both connected to the linksys router(including the one with the printer) and the other 3 are wireless. my isp is comcast. i tried setting up my home network today because my main objective is to share the printer.. im going to post what i did step by step.
so for the main computer i clicked "Setup a wireless network" and the wizard told me to:
1.plug the flash drive in your wireless access point
2.plug the flash drive into each computer or device you want to add to your network
3.plug the flash drive back into this computer, and then click Next
okay for #1, how do i do this? is it telling me to plug into my router/modem? my router/modem doesnt have a usb port. so i proceed to #2. plugged in the flash drive to the computer in my room and when i ran the wizard this message popped up: "Depending on the wireless software running on this computer, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard might not work. For details, see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on Microsoft.com."
this is what they told me to do in the microsoft site(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871122):
If your computer or your wireless network adapter did not come with its own wireless network software, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click Network Connections.
3. In Network Connections, click to select your wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection.
4. On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.
i have a problem with #4 because i dont have that Wireless Networks tab! i only have the General and Advanced tab. another thing they told me to do:
To start the Wireless Zero Configuration service, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s, and then click OK.
2. Double-click Wireless Zero Configuration.
3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
4. In the Service status area, click Start, and then click OK.
i did this but then i couldnt connect to my default network. it connects me to another unsecured network(probably my neighbor's). but when i use the Linkysys Wireless Network Monitor everything is fine. help please