Help with VLAN

Sharpy1

In Runtime
Hi all iv recently moved my network about and screwed my vlan settings and can't remember how to sort this out hoping someone could help.

All I want to do is separate my network so that guests can't access nas ect

I use a separate WiFi access point for guests that is connected into a switch I will enclose a poorly drawn picture of my network.

The problem is once I separate my network the guest ap looses Internet connection and vlan has to be done via the switches

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Computer Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1484055899179.jpg
    1484055899179.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 8
what type of router did you end up using? Need to make sure the router understands that the link connected to the 8-port Switch is a trunk. Make sure that vlan 2 is tagged on the link between the 8-port switch and router, and untagged on the switch interface connected to the guest AP.

You should also be using a separate IP subnet on the devices on VLAN. Such as:

Vlan 1: 192.168.1.0
Vlan 2: 192.168.2.0

I am still using my stock router provided by my isp it's a pile of crap it's the virgin media superhub 1 it has no vlan setting only the switches

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

That's one of the reasons I was looking for a decent wired router so I could just use my isp device as modem as its rubbish

Last edited:
then I think you'll have to wait until you get a vlan aware router before you can do what you want. The router is probably dropping vlan 2 traffic because it doesn't understand vlan tagging.

I had it working before i moved equipment upstairs but everything was on the same switch then will just wait then until I finish moving stuff around and buy a few upgrades.

I also need to put more fans in my computer would i be ok using a molex to 3 pin as I don't have any ports left on mb

If you connected both switches together, and just had one port going to the router with no tagging on it, then I guess it might work. But yeah, I'd wait until you get the router. Then you can do it right.

Umm for the fan I believe it's fine to do that but you won't have any communication from the motherboard, so the fan will run at full speed all the time.

Yh think a will just wait for a router upgrade like you are saying and it's a cooling emergency lol

Just add in a fan speed controller for the new fans and it will also give you the new fan headers you need.

Could you recommend a fan controller that would work my motherboard has 3pin fans this item has to be cheap under £10 as I don't want to pay £40+ on a fan controller right now when a £5 cable would fix my problem right now

If I were you I'd change a few things around...
First, use the crappy router to provide guest access and keep the dedicated WAP for yourself. (if the virgin hub supports adding guest networks, then you can share the guest network fro the router, and your person network from the router, and increase converge with your other WAP.

Second, As the virgin router doesn't understand VLANs, you'll want to keep your VLAN, (and the gateway for your VLAN off the virgin router.) because it wants to treat everything as VLAN 1, and be untagged.

use VLAN1 for the guest stuff that you don't want, and a different VLAN for your own stuff. - the reason for this is that every device out the box will be on VLAN 1. anythig that doesn't understand VLANs basically uses VLAN1, all default out the box use VLAN 1 as the native VLAN on trunks.

what is the managed switch that you have (the one that does understand VLANs)?
Does your switch have layer 3 capabilities?
and where is it in location to the router? (if your downstairs switch is your "managed switch" and it is layer 3 capable, and positioned near to the router, then you can probably get a decent "secure" network setup so that you can have "guest" wired or wireless downstairs, and secured wired upstairs...

(are both your 8 port switches shown in the example managed switches?)

Back
Top Bottom