Help with setting up several laptops to block all but a couple sites

ScreamSalvation1

Beta member
I'm trying to lend a hand to a small company that is deploying 40 laptops to its employees. The laptops will all have 3G wireless cards for internet access. The company has almost no IT help at the moment so I'm trying to lend a hand. I know this is a hard problem as the internet is set up to easily access data, and in this question it is trying to be blocked and censored.

Is there a stand alone program that would easily do this, blacklist all sites but leave 10 or so accessible. If this is the best answer than the company would purchase the licenses no problem.

I have thought about OpenDNS with a premium account as it has the whitelist feature. But using 3G wireless cards I have heard that no matter what manual DNS settings you use most cellular companies hijack the DNS queries and route them to their own servers, thus defeating OpenDNS.

Also have thought about setting each computer to try and access a "fake" proxy server and then telling it not to use the proxy for those 10 addresses. This seemed flaky at best.

Basically been reading up on this matter to help these people out. Figured I'd ask for some more opinions to see if anyone had done this in the past and had any suggestions or good programs.

Back
Top Bottom