Help with setting up network.

jabelone

Beta member
At the moment I have a single WiFi modem connected to cable. Connected to it's Ethernet ports I have a ReadyNAS, a Server and a Laptop. I have about 5 other wireless devices connected to WiFi. The transfer speed is to slow from the laptop to the ReadyNAS (8mb/s) so I was wanting to implement a network switch. Would these configurations work?

CABLE MODEM/ROUTER – input is cable, output is 4 Ethernet slots.
SWITCH - GS105

The configuration would be like this (ignore .):
CABLE MODEM/ROUTER > SWITCH > ReadyNAS, Server and Laptop.
.....................................\> Access Point > Wireless Devices

Would this work?

Last edited:
Thanks, So it would definitely increase the speed between the ReadyNAS and the LAN laptop? Also could I replace the Gigabit Switch with a 10/100 mb/s Switch with little or no effect? (big price different).

Last edited:
Would I actually be able to do it like this and get a faster connection between ReadyNAS and Laptop (ignore .):

WiFi MODEM/ROUTER > (By LAN) SWITCH > (By LAN) ReadyNAS, Server and Laptop
............................\> (By WiFi) Wireless Devices

I currently have this.

WiFi Modem/Router > (By LAN) ReadyNAS, Server, Laptop
.........................\> (By WiFi) Wireless Devices

Also would a 10/100mbs switch be much different (speed) to a gigabit switch?

Last edited:
So what you are going to do is bypass the 4 port built-in 10/100mb switch built into the router and add another 10/100mb switch instead? I don't see how this will increase the speed at all, unless there is something wrong with the built-in switch of the router.

Also, a gig switch is only useful if the devices connected to it have gig network cards. Otherwise it will connect at the slowest speed of the switch or the network card.

Regardless I don't see how adding another switch will make things any faster? Unless I'm missing something?

Going to a 10/100 switch won't make a difference at all from what you currently have.

Assuming everything you're plugging in has gigabit network cards you'd need the gigabit switch to notice anything (like jm mentioned). Thanks to the nature of switches, the packets will never leave the switch if you're just trying to go from the latpop to the NAS allowing you to keep the speed.

Back
Top Bottom