Help with router

ghillie

Beta member
This is an application I want for in our RV.

We have a desktop we use for our wireless internet in the RV. We use both MiFi when there is no Wifi in the RV park, and Wifi when it is available. Our Mifi system works fine. What I want to do is have the router take the wireless signal from the PC and broadcast the internet (wifi) signal in the RV so we can use our laptop, and smartphones on that wifi signal.

My daughters boyfriend set us up this way in the past, but the router died and she isn't dating him anymore. I have a new router now, but figured I would ask the experts how to do this rather than try to muddle my way through it.

Thanks in advance.

Is there a reason why you can't simply connect the laptops/smartphones to the mifi or wifi network?

Is there a reason why you can't simply connect the laptops/smartphones to the mifi or wifi network?

Yes two reasons,

Mifi costs us, park wifi is "free" (included in the cost of the park) so we limit our costs by taking advantage park wifi.

Like I said above, many times the park wifi doesn't reach the outer parts of the parks. To get a signal, I have a directional antenna. That gets us a signal at the RV. So by repeating the signal in our RV we can use all our devices.

I know what I'm asking can be done because we have been doing it for two years now. But I don't recall how it was done then. And it was done by a guy with only small or limited knowledge of computers. Tells me it's fairly easy.

Most routers have a repeating function, this is probably what you are talking about. You can access the router's UI and look for a repeating/bridging tab.

What is this directional antenna attached to, the router itself?

Most routers have a repeating function, this is probably what you are talking about. You can access the router's UI and look for a repeating/bridging tab.

What is this directional antenna attached to, the router itself?

The wireless adapter in the PC

This can be done through a network bridge. If you connect to your router through your computers ethernet i.e a wifi router, this is easy. Do you connect to or have a wifi router that you can connect to the pc?? You can connect to the park wifi and relay through your router with a bridge through windows.

So did he have you using the wireless adapter for an internet connection and the router physically wired for a Local connection? If so, take a look at this:

How to share one Internet connection with another computer using Vista?

This method may vary a bit depending on operating system.

I have no ability to put this in practice right now, and know sometimes there are compatibility issues between the operating systems when sharing a network connection, but this is the best I can think of.

Sorry if this doesn't really help =/

Back
Top Bottom