Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Help! I need to figure out a server

Alright, I'm finally caving. For years I have ran 5-7 media desktops, all running my files locally. This was the only plausible way, and I've been considering building a server of some sort for a few years now to do-away with this idea.

My issue is that these desktops are in three different buildings. They are connected to the same network wirelessly, but it is not a reliable connection. What are my options? I'm getting sick and tired of updating 7 music libraries weekly (especially when I download on 3 different systems simultaneously) and would just like to have one server drive (or array) set up with my collection, and then one or two backups I will make once every two weeks. It's just becoming far too tedious to keep each of these systems updated and I feel this would be so much easier....is there a way to run a more "reliable" wireless connection (the buildings are a couple hundred feet apart) or would there be any way of trenching in Cat5/Cat6 cabling between the buildings. I do have an older (2008ish) Dell PowerEdge Server/Quad-Core Xeon/4G DDR2, as well as a 48-Port Alcatel Powered Switch that I could set up just not sure where to go from there....networking is new to me, I'm a Support Analyst at a School Division and I am just getting trained in networking as we speaker (Hardware is my specialty)....

Any help would be appreciated! Need to make my life easier, while still having everything at my fingertips!

Old 12-21-2016, 02:48 AM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: Help! I need to figure out a server

I highly recommend merging everything onto one centralized server.

Do all buildings share a single modem for internet or does each building have a separate modem?

Old 12-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

You could get a couple point to point WDS wireless units and mount them outside the buildings to get a better connection. I've used both ubiquiti and engenious atennas for this, they work okay.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
BSOD

First thing you need to do is establish a reliable connection between all the machines and the Hub then connect the NAS to the hub router or whatever you have and then set up 7 accounts on the nas so that each one can access the public files and then start transferring all your files into the Nas public folder.
I went with a WD 4 slot pr4100 32tb Nas and a Tripp Lite UPS with a USB between them for the smart auto shutdown of the server if power is lost.
I'd keep it in raid 5 for striping and distributed parity and keep a spare new drive in a box nearby.