Help buying nas drive

Sharpy1

In Runtime
Hi everyone I have been thinking about buying a Netgear Ready Nas 104 with a few 4tb western digital red hdd's

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/connected-storage/RN10400.aspx#tab-techspecs

I would use this to stream files via SMB to 3 computers sometimes all at the same time would this be able to handle 3 streams at once I have little experience with nas drives and it's processor and ram sound pretty low I understand it doesent take much to stream files

And would the 4tb wd red hdd's be the best option for this device all comments appretiated

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ and have been quite pleased with it. I like the WD drives for the Netgear devices.

I wouldn't consider that NAS without maxing out the RAM though. 512 just isn't enough for the streaming you want to do with this NAS.

Problem with most NAS boxes is you can't upgrade the ram. My WD MyCloudMirror 4TB has a meager 512 megs of ram. Most NAS boxes run Linux which is efficient, small footprint, and doesn't need a lot of ram space to run. If I could upgrade the ram in mine I'd probably just take it up to 1 gig.

Just map the NAS drive on each computer as a network drive. I have 2 computers, a tablet, all on at the same time watching movies. It doesn't even start to sweat with all that going on.

Make sure the box you wind up with has a gigabyte network connection. My entire hard wire network is gigabyte. The tablet is wireless N on the 5Ghz band giving it a connection speed of 450Mbps. More than enough.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of issues with my NAS running 512. ITunes wouldn't perform well & constantly froze. Taking the NAS to 1 GB cured that issue. But you are so right, a gigabyte network is the true key here.

Back
Top Bottom