Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Hard wiring a house

I am looking to hardwire all my connections. I have the 2wire router(wireless) with the 4 ports. I am wanting to hook up my desktop, 360, and both kids blu ray players. I have others that can be hooked up, but with only 4 ports, I am going with what needs to be wired.

I have cat 5 thru out my house, should I work with that? Or just re-locate my router and run from it? Should it all be solid core? I don't really see anything going over 75ft, and that is way over what I think it will be. Is there a way to add more ports? Any need for any type of booster like extended HDMI lines?

thanks
JJ

jjhearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Hard wiring a house

Cat 5 should be fine. You could add a network switch if you want to add more ethernet ports to your network.

Where I live the router is located next to the cable modem down stairs. So, I ran one Cat 5 Ethernet cable up to the attic of the second floor where I have a network switch. From the network switch Cat 5 cables run down to all the bedrooms. You need to consider how your house is wired. If the router is not near the central point for all the room ethernet cables you could run a Cat 5 cable from the router to the 'central ethernet point' and install a network switch there to feed to all the rooms.

As far as distance, Cat 5 ethernet should be good up to 100 meters, so 75 feet shouldn't be a problem. A network switch, in addition to adding more ethernet ports to your network, acts a signal source, so from a network switch you can go another 100 meters.

Chipeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Solid State Member

thanks chipeater. I will look into the network switch. I have no idea about them, and can't say I have even come across them. I don't think I really need that unless I decide to wire all that I have, but it is good to know that I can.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
I have cat 5 thru out my house, should I work with that?
Cat5/Cat5e is pretty much the standard, makes sense to work with what you've got!
Quote:
Or just re-locate my router and run from it?
Not quite sure what you mean here.
Quote:
Should it all be solid core?
If you've got the cable there already then it doesn't matter. If you're running new cable and it's for installation purposes it makes sense to be solid core, since it'll be cheaper and won't be flexed (solid core's main disadvantage is that it could break if flexed too much which is irrelevant in installations.)
Quote:
I don't really see anything going over 75ft, and that is way over what I think it will be. Is there a way to add more ports? Any need for any type of booster like extended HDMI lines?
See the above answer
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

The 4 ethernet ports on the Router basically make a 4 port switch. Switches can have 4/8/16/32/etc/etc number of ports in them. You just need to get one that is appropriate for the number of devices you have.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Solid State Member

My router now has been moved to connect my desktop, at the bottom of a computer desk. I would like to move it to a more central location regardless and then just run wire from it.

I had read that solid core is "best" for lengths of ~100 or more. I wouldn't bend it more than about 90 degrees at most but I am sure I could go less. I just want the best for the cheapest, but don't we all.

Has anyone made there own wires up? Any advice? I don't see where it is all that hard, but if it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in costs, then it doesn't matter.

thanks
JJ
Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

It's not rocket science, but it isn't easy to line up those wires properly and terminate them well.

I always run two wires-- that way, if one line should fail for some reason, there will be a second one available (so you can put off running another wire for a while).
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Beta Member

One other option you can do as I do for mine is that I have my main pc hard wired with my wireless router and run my other pc's wireless using a range expander which works great and up time on them has been excellent.

Bdodd42

bdodd42 is offline   Reply With Quote