Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default gigabite help

I'm switching my gaming pc from regular ethernet to gigabite I have a cat5e going from my router to my pc and a cat5 from modem to router but some reason my internet speeds are the same as before how can I get the gigabite speed

ForumRunner_20130523_232332.jpg

cdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: gigabite help

The ports will automatically detect a gigabit network and switch over to it. Just because your computer network port is rated to go that fast if your router network ports don't go that fast then the network falls back to 10/100. You'll need to get a router with gigabit LAN ports.
This is the one I have > TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router - Newegg.com
This sucker is N I Z E !!! And for under 80 dollars now you can't go wrong with the price.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
In Runtime

Thanks for the reply my new router does have gigabit lan ports
Its a cisco dual band linksys e3000 router
ForumRunner_20130524_005427.jpg
cdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg View Post
I'm switching my gaming pc from regular ethernet to gigabite I have a cat5e going from my router to my pc and a cat5 from modem to router but some reason my internet speeds are the same as before how can I get the gigabite speed

Attachment 1132
Your network structure will do little to affect your internet speeds. It all depends on what speed package your provider is giving you.

Cat 5e is rated for gigabit ethernet, you have to make sure that your router also supports gigabit as well.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

There are very few people in the world that have gigabit internet connections so, as was already pointed out, unless you're one of those lucky people to actually have a gigabit internet connection, the gigabit ethernet ports probably won't do anything to increase your internet speed. Where gigabit ethernet really ports shine is when you are copying things like large video files from one computer on your network to another.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
There are very few people in the world that have gigabit internet connections so, as was already pointed out, unless you're one of those lucky people to actually have a gigabit internet connection, the gigabit ethernet ports probably won't do anything to increase your internet speed. Where gigabit ethernet really ports shine is when you are copying things like large video files from one computer on your network to another.
Couldn't have said this better myself. The only place you'll notice any increase is the computer-to-computer speed within your place of living. If you go back, i'm sure you'll notice you weren't getting 100 megabits internet speed prior to this either.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Wizard of Wires

I said the LAN network would sense the gigabit connection. The WAN is subject to how fast your ISP goes. Some routers like mine have the ability to go 1 gig on the WAN port but only if the service is going that fast.
I wish...

I should have made my response a little clearer. Sorry.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote