"Ghost" wireless router...

elegiac

Beta member
Hi all,
I'm here because there's something that's been bothering me about my network. I'm running Windows 7, and I connect to my Linksys wireless router via the one on-board WiFi card that I have, in order to get internet access. However, when I looked in the control panel recently, I saw something not quite right - a router that wasn't there!

oddnet01.jpg

I thought that I might somehow have managed to connect to another router somehow, so I checked if I was connected to anything else. But apparently not, as the image below shows:

oddnet02.jpg

There are about 8 other wireless routers from surrounding houses within range of where I live, so if that mysterious Belkin router was in the 'network infrastructure', why aren't the others? And why's it listed in the network infrastructure anyway? This is confusing... :confused:

Does anyone have any thoughts? :)

Only guesses, but there's 3 possibilities I can think of straight up (only the last is a cause for concern!)

a) The mysterious router is part of an unsecured network, and either windows connected to it by default or someone connected by mistake. It therefore got added because of that.

b) The mysterious router is actually your router, but Windows through various means got itself in a muddle and detected it as the wrong thing, subsequently detecting is as the correct router but still leaving evidence of the mistake in place. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen things like this happen with Windows!

c) The mysterious router is actually part of an alien invasion, a prototype put out by the mind control squad of an alien force hoping to take over earth in next September. After a multi-billion dollar deal with Belkin, the control device is cleverly disguising itself as one of their routers.

Back
Top Bottom