Getting around the Windows Firewall

Corey1

Baseband Member
For the first time I have a "network" in my house. Up until last month, I've always owned only one computer at a time. Now I have a laptop and a desktop. The laptop runs XP and the desktop Vista. Both connect the the internet with no problem yet, for the computers to see each other I need to disable the Windows firewall on one or the other. I am running behind a router but, I like to keep the software firewall up in the event that one machine becomes infected... then the other won't. It's annoying to disable the firewall each time I want to share files. Is there a work around where I can keep the firewall up and still share files? I've noticed that the XP machines at my place of work all have the firewall off.

Allow the file sharing exception in windows firewall. Also make sure both computers are in the same workgroup.

Allow the file sharing exception in windows firewall. Also make sure both computers are in the same workgroup.

Excellent! File Sharing wasn't turned on in XP. Not sure how I over looked that but, thank you very much! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom