Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Question Getting around NAT

My college uses NAT... is there any way I would able to play multiplayer games directly with another computer (using the IP address option) on the network? How about figuring out which port I should set my bittorrent client to listen to?

RaisingKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:44 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Getting around NAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisingKane
which port I should set my bittorrent client to listen to?
It doesn't matter what that port is aslong as the firewall allows connections through it.

mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Well, it works, but slowly. Using Azureus's connection wizard keeps coming up with NAT errors. I was wondering if there was something I could do to see what port the NAT hq was assigning to me (if that's how it works) so I could speed things up a bit.

But I don't care so much about bittorrent. It's the gaming I'm trying to figure out...
Old 09-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
In Runtime

Some games allow you to specify the port you want to use for the game. If your game allows such an option you can set the game to use a port that you know isn't blocked by your college. Your college has blocked these ports for a reason, they don't want students sucking up all the bandwidth for games. This is a college network, I personally don't blame them for blocking these ports.

It is possible to bypass a firewall with ARP poisoning, but the details of such a procedure are beyond the rules of this forum. However if the college is running a software such as Arpwatch, they will have the advantage with this method.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:41 PM   #5
Solid State Member

No, I'm trying to play games with my roommate using the IP address method, but because of NAT changing around the IP addresses, it doesn't work, so I can't host games. I don't think port blocking is the problem.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to RewtGuy

I think you need to get a router and make a LAN? This way you and him can play locally... You can port forward to the host of the game. This way other people can join.
Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.
RewtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
Baseband Member

NAT just translates from Internal adresses such as 10.1.xxx.xxx address to an external gateway or proxy adress such as the address assigned by your ISP. You may be dealing with a low lease leavel with the DHCP that rotates the IPs constantly. Most leasing scopes rotate on a 24 hour basis, yours maybe higher.

To get around it, try hard coding your IPs in. Then try connecting directly by IP.

jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote