Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Exclamation FTP Server running very slowly

I belong to An FTP and for the past 2 weeks its been running very slowly. I normally run at 600kb/s all the time and lately it's been 30-80kb/s. Absolutely rediculous. I emailed the people and they told me that it's because its during the evening when everyone else is trying to do the same thing which is not true because I left it on all night and day and still runs at the same speed. I emailed them again and they said it could be that my ISP could be affecting the route to the FTP but my ISP doesn't do that...Everything else I download goes much faster so it's not my connection.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: FTP Server running very slowly

Test your FTP from a known good line, if it's a public FTP i'll test it.

Your ISP does affect the route to your FTP, this is a possible cause, however a very unlikely one. If everyone is getting the same speed results, i'd blame your host as they likely overloaded the server, if it's a shared server this is very easy to do.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Well everyone else who has access to this server has their normal speeds...I have road runner and everything else I download is fine... I've never had issues with the speed before with my ISP and the week or 2 before the speed issue I wasn't even on the FTP much. It's not a public FTP...something I pay monthly for. If the server was overloaded I would imagine everyone else I know would be getting the same crap speeds correct?
Old 11-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorfee View Post
Well everyone else who has access to this server has their normal speeds...I have road runner and everything else I download is fine... I've never had issues with the speed before with my ISP and the week or 2 before the speed issue I wasn't even on the FTP much. It's not a public FTP...something I pay monthly for. If the server was overloaded I would imagine everyone else I know would be getting the same crap speeds correct?
Yeah if it was overloaded everyone would be getting crap.

If you are having any line problems at all, it can kill your download speeds for things like FTP. Are you familiar with the use of any network protocol analyzers such as wireshark / ethereal? Also it's a good idea to try to bypass your router, and try a new modem if this is easy for you. I've had a router bug suddenly start killing speeds before.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Baseband Member

What do you mean line problems? I have used ethereal at my school before but not very familiar with it at all...I just got a new router. wrt54g I believe and My speeds were just fine with it when i got it. If a "router bug" started killing my ftp speeds wouldn't it also kill my rr speeds in general including other downloads that don't pertain to the server? Because 600kb/s down to 30kb/s is absolutely horrible.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorfee View Post
What do you mean line problems? I have used ethereal at my school before but not very familiar with it at all...I just got a new router. wrt54g I believe and My speeds were just fine with it when i got it. If a "router bug" started killing my ftp speeds wouldn't it also kill my rr speeds in general including other downloads that don't pertain to the server? Because 600kb/s down to 30kb/s is absolutely horrible.
Sometimes flaws can just kill speeds for one protocol, and not affect the others. Line problems could be excessive TCP resets, excessive retransmissions, out of order packets, etc.

A packet analyzer like ethereal (Which was renamed to wireshark) will let someone see these problems. If you can run a capture I can see what the possible problems could be. If you run a capture, run it after you login to your FTP so your password in not contained in the capture. Running it for about a minute or so would be great.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Baseband Member

ok I will do that. First should I just try to run the server hooked only to the modem and no router? I will download the program and try to figure it out lol. I wonder why I would have problems now...have had the server for at least a year now

EDIT: Ok i go to click capture but it says no capture interface selected...im a noob with these programs and dont know what to do
Old 11-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Baseband Member

Alright I think I got it...letting it run for a min...alright...uploading
Old 11-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
Baseband Member

Check your PM's
Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
Baseband Member

Yeah so it was my router..plugged into just the modem and went full speed..brought it back...got another router..diff model...kills the speed way back down again for the ftp