File Sharing Issue on Home Network

Frost17

Baseband Member
Hello,

I apologize I'm a newb when it comes to networking. Did a bit of searching but can't seem to find anything on what I'm looking to do.

Currently have a wireless router and a roommate. We have a home network set up-- and there is a Homegroup that he set up with his username and password.

I want to be able to set up file sharing for my own devices separate from his. How can I achieve this? All machines are running either Windows 7 or 8 -- would be nice to connect enable easy file sharing from my Android Phone as well.

Best way to do it?

You should be able to create a Workgroup and then share only the folders you wish to share with only the users you wish to grant access.

A Homegroup and a Workgroup can exist within the same network so his machines don't need to join your Workgroup and your machines don't need to be a member of his Homegroup.

Join or create a workgroup - Microsoft Windows Help

Share files with someone - Microsoft Windows Help

If you use an app like ES File Explorer, your Android phone can access the shares setup in your Windows Workgroup.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...en-android-and-windows-with-es-file-explorer/

Last edited:
+1 for both of the above, definitely the right way to go about it. The workgroup method is probably easier to start with, but you'll achieve the same results with either.

Back
Top Bottom