Fibre Optic 2.0?

Hunter_Exacute

Beta member
SO i have been thinking lately. after studying Fibre optics i have found that it is very fast. speeds of up to 200Mbps but after thinking a lot about it would it be possible to send strings of 64 bits as a colour through the fibre if this isnt already being done that number could be 12,800Mbps. could anyone either prove me wrong tell me this is being done already?

Wouldn't be practical. Your string would have to be associated with a certain color. Therefore the string could not be altered, and would remain a constant.

On the transmitting end you would have to have a very high power RGB LED. It would also have to have an incredibly fast rise and fall time. That means it turns on and then off at a high rate of speed.
The transmitting end would also have to have a high speed computer to select the color associated with the string. The computer tells the LED controller what color to transmit. All of this would have to be just incredibly fast.

On the receiver end you would have to use a color detection setup. This would be comprised of a digital camera made just for that purpose. A controller it's connected to, to convert what the camera sees to a digital signal. Then on to the computer that has the library of what color is what string. The computer selects the string to match the color and sends it on down the line.

All of this would need to have a separate line it can use in a normal infrared photodiode / laserdiode fashion to send a handshake and or error messages.
Or you could build a complex transceiver that would be used on both ends.

Too slow. Too complex. Not flexible. There are no RGB laser diodes.

What they use now works rather well. In some markets ISPs are getting a gig or above. It's just a matter of fine tuning the hardware and the software that makes it all work. Give them time and support and the mad geniuses will get the fiber network to go a hell of a lot faster.

Fibre optic cable is not the limiting factor when it comes to broadband, if that's what you're thinking.

Copper Cable (RJ45) Standard:

Cat5e: 1000mbps
Cat6: 1000mbps
Cat7: 10,000mbps

The only real advantages of fibre optic over copper cables right now are:

Increased cable lengths - You can run it for thousands of metres without a repeater or signal booster and it won't degrade the signal

Lower latency - lower resistance compared to copper means lower signal latency

ISPs here use 'Fibre' as a means of selling the same product for more. In the UK anyway it's basically a con because about 75% of the under-street cabling is Copper, and the lines from the exchanges to the houses are 100% copper. If there's any copper in a link it's not fibre optic! Even the Fibre-to-premises hookups we use at work (which by the way cost upwards of £800!! to get installed by BT or Virgin...) have copper traces inside the NTU.

Rant over :p In Canada I believe somebody is already offering a 1000mbps internet connection using a combination of 10k copper and fibre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-Fi

Not the same I know, but if you're interested in fibre optics etc, the above link is bound to interest you! :)

Li-fi is the future. I was going to bring that up if you hadn't.

On to the topic at hand. The problem is infrastructure and silly pricing. Internet speeds can get crazy fast (businesses can have 10 gpbs connections and I think get a full gigabyte a second download speeds).

But infrastructure, though getting better, isn't quite there. I know that cables in the US are bonafide fiber optic cables. No copper on my FIOS. But then pricing is also absurd. Some people still use dial-up (albeit very few). Countries like South Korea, Sweden, and Germany offer fast internet for next to nothing. You can get 25 mpbs down for 15 bucks a month in south korea, maybe less.

It doesn't cost a company anything more to provide faster internet as long as their current infrastructure can handle it. Verizon could give all of their customers 100 mpbs down connections at the same (or at least very similar) cost as if they give everyone 10 mpbs. But the internet is deregulated and companies are monopolies (sometimes one company provides internet for an area) and therefore they can charge whatever they want. It's all about the money. Government should provide internet at a competitive cost. Or have a baseline speed that all customers of all companies must receive. (No slower than 10 mpbs or something for example).

Fibre optic cable is not the limiting factor when it comes to broadband, if that's what you're thinking.

Copper Cable (RJ45) Standard:

Cat5e: 1000mbps
Cat6: 1000mbps
Cat7: 10,000mbps
and 100m runs only... given that *most* streets are longer than that...
also, why did you stop ad 10GB (that's pretty slow really) switchstack cables have ran at 40Gbps for a while now (over a decade), and new more expensive switch devices, can handle 10tb ports (as a theoretical max!)

ISPs here use 'Fibre' as a means of selling the same product for more. In the UK anyway it's basically a con because about 75% of the under-street cabling is Copper, and the lines from the exchanges to the houses are 100% copper. If there's any copper in a link it's not fibre optic! Even the Fibre-to-premises hookups we use at work (which by the way cost upwards of £800!! to get installed by BT or Virgin...) have copper traces inside the NTU.
there is usually at least fibre to the street cabinet, again because of that speed limit over the copper link.
it is possible to get copper to the house...

I'm not sure why you seem to think that copper in the termination devices make it not real fibre? - if that's th case then it's not fibre when you re transmit to wireless either?

that said... I like the idea.

scale it back a bit, and just say IR, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet...

given that we can splice media effectively there is no reason that a decent light pipe cant be created that splays at the end to 8 transceivers, if the wave lengths were suitably far apart they wouldn't be hard to separate, and with 8 distinct wavelengths each sharing a transmission medium, we could transfer 8 times the data.

in fact it's such a good idea that it's already done...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fibre#Variations

see virtual dark fibre using wavelength multiplexing, (e.g. RGB, or the same principal at least)

there is usually at least fibre to the street cabinet, again because of that speed limit over the copper link.
it is possible to get copper to the house...

That's what our government has decided to do with our National Broadband Rollout instead of rolling fibre out all the way, They'll use the existing copper next they sold off to Telstra in late 90's which they are buying back and using the using HFC which is used to deliver Pay TV services and to be honest its an absoulute mess with a $15B blowout in the budget with another $800M blowout Multi Mix Technology . I am lucky though as my suburb was announced before they made those changes so I still get FTTP by early February next year. NBN Guide: What You Need to Know - WhistleOut

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom