Ethernet Cable Question

I might buy a new cable, We got them pretty cheap a while back so are probably cat5. I'd like to be able to wire the whole house up but that would get messy.

It's not as messy as you'd think.

my dad wired his house (many years ago)
(in fact so long ago that wireless B was the "standard" and was crazy expensive, so putting dedicated cables for all the different computers that seemed to be in the house was a good idea.

you have other options now.
cable in full cat 5/6/7 and use proper cables.
use home plugs (shorter runs only) to use your mains cables, - they advertise speeds of 500Mpbs, over a hundred meters...

and I was (randomly) looking at some devices by mikrotek

RouterBoard.com : RB260GS

5 1Gb ports for the work stations that you have "local" and then an SFP on the back, - which would let you run fibre (busting through that 100m limit) so if you have a "noisy" house that's big so wireless repeaters, cables and home plugs won't work. now fibre is a very realistic possibility... (it's $39.)

^ just on that point, you've got to be careful how you run fibre cables though... we had BT install a point-to-point fibre line between two sites, and we had a major outage because somebody wrapped the fibre cables into too tight of loops...

Indeed, for those considering fibre, you need to lookup maximum permissible "bend radius" which is different for every case of fibre thickness.

Back
Top Bottom