Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9
Default Ethernet Adapter Question?.

I have recently installed an old WinXP desktop PC to my workshop. It lay in the loft the last few years packed and unused. I have it all working now updated to XP SP3 final updates and it is at present connecting to the internet through a long Cat5E cable from my Virgin superhub 2 modem. The XP PC connects via a VIA VT-6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter on the motherboard. My question is, can someone with more technical knowledge tell me if this adapter is wireless capable and if so what do I need to get it connected wirelessly to the Virgin Superhub wi-fi?.
__________________

saltyseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,944
Default Re: Ethernet Adapter Question?.

No, it's strictly an Ehernet adapter with no wireless capabilities.

In order to go wireless, you would need for your modem/router to support wifi, then you would need a wifi adapter for your XP box. I don't know if anyone manufactures a wifi adapter that's XP compatible any longer but you can look into it. Lastly, depending upon the distance your box is from the wifi hotspot, you may not be happy with the performance.
__________________

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9
Default Re: Ethernet Adapter Question?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
No, it's strictly an Ehernet adapter with no wireless capabilities.

In order to go wireless, you would need for your modem/router to support wifi, then you would need a wifi adapter for your XP box. I don't know if anyone manufactures a wifi adapter that's XP compatible any longer but you can look into it. Lastly, depending upon the distance your box is from the wifi hotspot, you may not be happy with the performance.
The cable I have is quite long and I don't want to go drilling holes through walls etc. Also for some reason I am being limited to 10Mbps on the XP machine while my Win7 main PC is getting the full 200Mbps. My wife's tablet and mobile phone get a great service from the WiFi from the Virgin superhub2 and as the workshop is just outside the house I should get a much better service wirelessly.
saltyseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,536
Default Re: Ethernet Adapter Question?.

As the computer is running XP then it may not have good up to date drivers which could be having an impact on the performance of the speed you are getting. Also you said that the ethernet cable you are using is CAT5e which can support gigabit speeds but there may be some interference but since the ethernet port is only fast ethernet that could be the thing holding it back.

If you willing to spend a bit of money then you could install PCI gigabit ethernet card TP-LINK TG-3269 32-bit Gigabit PCI Network Interface Card

Are you able to provide the full specifications of the pc if possible.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 9
Default Re: Ethernet Adapter Question?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
As the computer is running XP then it may not have good up to date drivers which could be having an impact on the performance of the speed you are getting. Also you said that the ethernet cable you are using is CAT5e which can support gigabit speeds but there may be some interference but since the ethernet port is only fast ethernet that could be the thing holding it back.

If you willing to spend a bit of money then you could install PCI gigabit ethernet card TP-LINK TG-3269 32-bit Gigabit PCI Network Interface Card

Are you able to provide the full specifications of the pc if possible.
Thanks very much for this timely advice. I spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to get a WiFi adapter to connect to my Virgin hub before realising that the built in card is not capable of wifi. I came on the PC tonight to check out a new card for an old PC and on checking my email saw that there was a new reply to my thread and hey presto, two birds with one stone so thank you again I have just ordered one of the above from the link which will be here Monday.
saltyseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,944
Default Re: Ethernet Adapter Question?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyseadog View Post
Thanks very much for this timely advice. I spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to get a WiFi adapter to connect to my Virgin hub before realising that the built in card is not capable of wifi. I came on the PC tonight to check out a new card for an old PC and on checking my email saw that there was a new reply to my thread and hey presto, two birds with one stone so thank you again I have just ordered one of the above from the link which will be here Monday.
You do realize that the card in the link from BK_123 doesn't support wifi either, don't you?
__________________

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0