Enable LM hashing

soulseer

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

I have searched what seems like everywhere for what seems like an eternity for a simple How-To question. My question is: How can I ENABLE LM hashes on my Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS? I wish to enable this feature for personal use on MY computer but it is disabled by default on the new Windows Vista OS, NTLMv2 hashing is enabled instead, and I cannot figgure out how to enable LM no matter how much i search.

If anyone has a clear and/or simple explanation of how to enable LM hashes it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
SoulSeer

It can be enabled via the Local Security Policy tool in the Administrative tools.

the local security policy tool is only available on the versions of vista higher than home premium. I may have found a way to do it by editing the registry but if anyone knows of another way it would save me from messing with the registry and potentially messing my computer up really bead.

Ok i have figgured out how to enable LM hashing on windows vista home premium. It is as simple as making two changes to values in the registry:

-Type "run" into the start search and then type "regedit" into the run box.
-Open the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA
-Double click "LmCompatabilityLevel" and enter a value of "0"
-Double click "NoLmHash" and enter a value of "0"
-Restart computer and LM hashes will be stored on next password change.

**Note** don't include quotation marks when typing in values.

Back
Top Bottom