download speed fix...

anashaddad

Baseband Member
Hi guys I'm having a problem with my bittorrent download speed, downloading stuff from chrome was pretty fast and as promised. I am supposed to have 1.8 MBps download speed but all I am getting is 50 kB/s. Is there any way I could make bittorrent use my internet to the fullest? ( Other than download limit, because thats already set to infinity). here's my speedtest.net results:
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

All Replies are Appreciated! :D

P.S. I don't fully understand the seeders/leechers thing so an additional simple explaination for those would be very helpful :)

Also I get about 40MB on speed test but the fastest download I have had was 3MB so not sure how that works to be honest.

The seeders are people with the file so the more seeders the faster and healthier the download. Leechers are others that are trying to download the file.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

Ya check how many seeders are on the download..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Computer Forums mobile app

Also I get about 40MB on speed test but the fastest download I have had was 3MB so not sure how that works to be honest.

The seeders are people with the file so the more seeders the faster and healthier the download. Leechers are others that are trying to download the file.

Mossiac

Thanks for replying :)

Well I know that but I don't understand why. I mean If the file is already uploaded whats the point of someone upload parts of it again and why does the speed increase if there are more of the seeders and less of the leechers? That was my original question. I'm sorry I didn't specify

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Ya check how many seeders are on the download..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Computer Forums mobile app

The download finished but I already know that it had 2 seeder and 0 leechers.
so is it about the ratio between seeders and leechers or the whole numbers of seeders. I mean for example, will a 200 seeders to 100 leechers file download faster than one with 2 seeder and 1 leecher?

Thanks a lot for The reply :D

The file isn't meant to be held in one sole location. The seeders could be on a load of other PCs just like yours.More seeders is more guarantee that the file will download in one go. Less chance of a corrupt file.

Up to a point both the number of seeders and ratio play their parts in speed. Just not sure where this ratio is.

Mossiac

Upload speed of seeders is also a vital importance. It's a fairly straightforward (simplified) equation for overall performance I would expect, something like:
Code:
for i in seeders:
{
    total_bandwidth_available += upload_speed[i]
}

for j in all_leechers_except_you:
{
    total_bandwidth_available -= download_speed[i]
}

your_download_speed = min(your_download_bandwidth,total_available_bandwidth)
Obviously this doesn't take into account that a file is actually multiple parts, and some parts may be available from leechers who are acting as transient seeders whilst they download the file themselves (but do not hold the entire file). The example above also assumes all full seeders have the entire file available for download.

Hope that helps,
Michael.

Last edited:
Upload speed of seeders is also a vital importance.

That right there is the single most forgotten thing in terms of internet speed. In the end having fast download speeds only goes so far and the speed of the uploader (website, peer, whatever) plays a much larger role than your own download speed. If you pay for and get 50Mb down but the upload only has 1Mb up available, guess what you'll really download at?

What type of line do you have?

xDSLx variants will have the download crippled if the upload is pushed close to the max limit. Try limiting the total upload slots to 4-5 and the transfer to minus 20KB of the max rate.

Also make sure that the connection passes the port your torrent client is using.

Having many seeders does not necessarily mean a fast rate as per the reasons mentioned before, but your best bet is to have higher seeders and lower leachers.

The more upload transfer you do the more chance of higher download speed you get. This includes priority over other leachers.

xDSLx variants will have the download crippled if the upload is pushed close to the max limit.

Generally only true of ADSL I would have thought, since that's where the Asymmetric part comes in. Plus, in the UK at least, VDSL and SDSL are only ever used in business connections (and not even those anymore since ADSL bandwidth has improved so much).

The more upload transfer you do the more chance of higher download speed you get. This includes priority over other leachers.

Definitely the case with torrent style file-sharing. However, it's important to note the distinction that this is a policy decision implemented in the torrent client/server, not a technical limitation. If it wasn't this way, there would be no incentive to upload and the overall system wouldn't hang together.

Back
Top Bottom