Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
Guru

Default Re: Dns/dhcp

Oh ok. Thanks. Well, I plan on running an static address (changing through TCP/IP) so I can host some WC3 games.

Do you know if there's any way that I can write a batch file to switch my IP address for dynamic to static?

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #12
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger

If you are wanting to host a game server you will need a static IP from your ISP, which is more costly and more than likely a better plan with faster upload speeds.

Plus most big ISP companies block the ports that things like that run on which means you have to have a router that is capable of port forwarding (not sure if yours is or not).
Not too mention that if you have a lot of people playing on those servers your ISP could shut your internet off (depending on what their user agreement states) since you are not supposed to be doing that without paying for the extra bandwidth.

Your static IP that you would set up from your PC to your router would be a private address (one of the ones I posted above), but these are not capable of being used over the internet.

|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
Guru

The WarCraft III ones work. I just set up for my friend the other day at his house. WarCraft III hosting doesn't require you to have your own server, you use theirs. I set up port forwarding on his router allowing the range specified by WCIII. Then we set up his "static" IP address so it would match the one on the ports forwarded. It worked like a charm. He's got the same ISP I do. I think I should be fine if my router does port forwarding. Just waiting for a time when no one is using the net to restart it lol.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger

I guess I don't understand what it is you are trying to do. I am not familiar with WarCraft and how it is played. But good luck and hope you get it to work.

|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote