Dns/dhcp

I want to reset my router since I forgot the password. First I want to make sure I have the DNS/DHCP in case I need to input them again (most likely). The only problem is that since the internet connect is being routed from the modem to the computer and it's not direct connection, these addresses show up as the router address. Anyway I can figure them out with calling my ISP? If I do a direct plug, would the addresses show correctly under ipconfig?

All of your DNS/IP should get input automatically from the ISP's DHCP. You should not have to input anything.

But to find out the DNS server just do a ipconfig /all or an nslookup.

ipconfig /all doesn't work because the modem is connected to a router which then is connected to my computer. When the connection reaches the router, the actualy DNS/DHCP is substituted by the router's address. So when I enter ipconfig /all, i get the the router's address instead of the DNS/DHCP. So if I were to do a directly plug, do you think that'd work?

Which address are you trying to get- The IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, or DNS Server?

Your router is substituting your address using NAT which is giving you a private address I am assuming(a NAT address is one of the following)

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

NAT will substitute your IP/Subnet Mask/Default Gateway addresses but I don't believe it will change your DNS server address from your ISP's.

Does your DNS server show up as an address in one of the ranges I put above?

If you take the router out of the picture and just use your modem to connect then yes it should because then NAT is out of the picture.

**Are you not using DHCP on your router to get your ISP addresses?

Both of the DNS Server and DCHP address are the same as the default gateway (router) address which is in the 192.168.x.x range. Right now I can't disconnect the modem because my dad is on.

Well after you restart it you still shouldn't need to manually input any addresses. Usually the router defaults to getting a DHCP lease from your ISP. So once you reset it, then your router should automatically obtain the correct addresses.

So then would I not need to change any other settings to get it working properly? Last time I had to change some stuff...I can't remember what though.

You should be able to just hook it up and should obtain the WAN IP information automatically. You might have to run the connection setup wizard. But other than that the only other thing you should have to set up are the password to get into the router (change it that is).

And if it doesn't automatically obtain the information, then just make sure that the router is set to DHCP so that it does, but you really shouldn't have to do that.

The only time you should have to actually input addresses into your router are if you have a static IP address, or you are trying to change the default gateway of the router.

Back
Top Bottom