Direct Cable Connection from Win 98 to Win XP

z06

Beta member
I hope this question hasn't already been asked and I just can't find it. I connected an IBM Aptiva running Win 98 as host to a new Dell Dimension 3000 running Win XP as guest via a direct parallel cable. The connection is there, but I can't access data on the IBM. When I do a run \\ibm (the computer name) I get "The specified network name is no longer available." When I click on drive z (mapped to ibm\c) in Windows Explorer I get "The local device name is already in use." Trying to get help from Dell and Microsoft has been impossible. I'm trying to get my 83 year old mom's data off her old computer onto her new Dell. I sure hope someone has a simple fix.

Did you set up the windows 98 drives to be shared? You might need to run the network wizard on the XP computer to get it set up, have you already run that? Can you access the xp computer from the 98 computer?

adamorris said:
Did you set up the windows 98 drives to be shared? You might need to run the network wizard on the XP computer to get it set up, have you already run that? Can you access the xp computer from the 98 computer?

Thanks Adamorris. Yes to your 1st 2 questions and no to the 3rd. I'll have to change IBM to guest and Dell to host and try that. However, even if that works, I still need to resolve original problem to get data from IBM to Dell.

If you get that to work you should then be able to access the drives as long as you have access in the security settings. Do you have the file and printer sharing protocols set up for it? Also, try setting up the nwlink - IPX\SPX protocol, you might have some luck there. Are you just trying to transfer files?

Back
Top Bottom